Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Hi ! Thank you for everyone taking the time to read this and respond.
I'm 22 years old and I'm currently living in boston. I have had symptoms that point to als for about 1 and 4 months now. Back in Feb 2019, I first started getting muscle twitches. I found it very hard to hold things with out trembling like my muscles were already tired from just holding a book. I then started to noticed my speech was different all of a sudden I had a lisp, I started saying birth certificate weird and it was like I had to say the words slowly for it to sound even remotely correct. I then looked up my symptoms and found ALS on google and then I took a look at my tongue and noticed it was twitching, and I watched and watched videos on YouTube that looked exactly like mine. I have atrophy on my right shoulder and my right arm shakes when I type, text and ect. My thorax muscle on the right had is also showing dimpling and it also has vocalized twitching. I went to the doctor, had them do a barium swallowing test and MRI covering my entire body, blood work and got everything cleared and normal. Then my Neurologist had me get an EMG in June in Cambridge mass and it was normal. Now a year later my systems are still here, the same spot on my tongue that was non stop twitching is still twitching, and my shoulder is showing even more atrophy, its like wrinkly. I'm very fit and my hands look like two different people, one is very muscular and the other is substantially smaller.
I have a phone appointment with my neurologist but I really don't know what other steps I should take to get this addressed, I will try to get another EMG because I took one so close to when my symptoms started. Does this look like ALS?

Please read this if you have not already done so

With the normal EMG and barium swallow, you’re off the hook with ALS.

Keep in mind that what is important when it comes to diagnosing ALS is the big picture: clinical weakness as determined by a physician, characteristic EMG changes in multiple muscle areas, upper motor neuron signs, evidence of disease progression, and ruling out ALS mimics.

Keep working with your doctors, but it’s not ALS.

Sorry for such a late reply! and thank you so much for you affirmation. I have a appointment with a neuro muscular doctor on the July 21st to follow up with my symptoms. Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back