05/2019
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Ottawa
Hi All,

I have read the initial post regarding all the symptoms.

I was just hoping got an opinion from others in this forum. I am 22 years old and I have been frightened that I have ALS for about 2 months now.

I have had persistent muscle twitching in my various parts of my right leg for 2 months now. Sometimes I get twitches in other areas such as my other leg shoulders and back but they only persists in my right leg. I don’t have any weakness and can still do everything that I have done before it’s just the twitching that is really concerning me.

I’ve seen several doctors that have told me that it’s nothing serious and I’m awaiting an appointment with a neurologist.

Any replies that either be reassuring or sharing personal experience would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should await speaking with your neurologist and try not to worry any further until then. Easier said then done I'm sure.

It's worth noting the following from Facts You Should Know that may reduce your concern:
Most people who develop ALS are between the ages of 40 and 70, with an average age of 55 at the time of diagnosis. However, cases of the disease do occur in persons in their twenties and thirties. Generally though, ALS occurs in greater percentages as men and women grow older. ALS is 20% more common in men than in women. However with increasing age, the incidence of ALS is more equal between men and women.

ALS is rare, combined with your young age, you're likely concerning yourself with something that you need not worry about.

Dialogue with your neurologist is hopefully positive and points you in another more likely direction.

Last edited:
My neurologist has had twitches for years. They get worse when he is anxious, dehydrated, or trying to get to sleep. Twitches are very non-specific and a huge percentage of the population has them. I wouldn't worry. If seeing a neurologist will help you, then do it. In the meantime, please don't worry.

I also forgot to mention I have stiffness in my right leg too or almost a weird feeling its hard to describe. Thank you both for your responses I really appreciate it. In one of the posts that state read before posting it says if your only symptom is twitching or stiffness or feeling weird there is nothing to worry about so I will try to take that advice!

Sorry to bother everyone but I just had a question about dropping things. I remembered reading that was a symptom of ALS during my obsession with googling symptoms and now over the past week I’ve noticed I’m dropping thing more. I know this sounds stupid but it’s what I’m panicked about along with my twitching. Could I be dropping things or just noticing I am because I read the symptom and am so stressed about it?

. I remembered reading that was a symptom of ALS during my obsession with googling symptoms and now over the past week

Rich, for now that is your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back