Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
NYC
Hi. My story begins in June, when I was working in AZ (close to sea level), and randomly noticed that it felt like I couldn’t take a full breath — felt weak, nauseous, etc. Went away, and then came back 5 days later, went away again, came back, etc. Saw pulmomologist, said lungs were fine. A few weeks later, breathing issue came back, stayed for ~10 days — did not impede exercising.

In September, started noticing that I was feeling fatigued, and felt like my whole body was trembling — feels like I hit my funny bone in my arms/legs randomly, feel weakness/tingling in R arm. Saw GP, said it was anxiety. Ran blood tests — morning. Have anxiety, but I have NEVER felt like this before//am in low stress position// feel no mental stress.

These symptoms, unlike the breathing (which comes and goes) keep getting worse. Now, R arm feels sore even when I type this. It constantly feels like my body is shaking, and my legs and arms often do actually tremor. I have random, tiny twitches in my calf and thighs as well. I’ve noticed additional soreness, especially in my R arm, and all of my movements feel like I’m shaking when I perform them (rather than fluid motions). Saw a neurologist, who did physical tests, said it probably was not ALS/ neurological due to my existing strength and responses. Said anxiety.

2 weeks after that appt and feel like the shaking won’t stop(some internal, some physical), as well as muscles get sore and tired from
nothing (R arm sore from typing this!), extremities weak/tingly all the time. Had pins and needles in arms, legs, and hands as well. Feel so bad that I almost can’t work — hard to focus when your whole body feels like it’s twitching and trembling. Am scheduled to get an EMG in 2 weeks, and am really scared.

Re my anxiety: I’ve had it a while, it usually manifests with nausea, suicidal thoughts/destructive thoughts. NEVER physical symptoms.

I understand that ALS is rare for young women. I understand that mental health can produce some crazy symptoms. I just don’t understand how being in a better mental space could produce this severe anxiety, so I want to rule out everything else. I believe the breathing is an anxiety response, but not the other symptoms. Maybe they’re not connected. What do y’all think?

Thank you all!

Please read this if you have not already done so:

None of your symptoms suggest ALS. Pain and numbness point away from ALS. Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. Anxiety can make twitching worse. Your strength was normal, and the neurologist didn’t feel you have ALS. Anxiety is certainly a possible explanation. But not ALS.

Please read this if you have not already done so:

None of your symptoms suggest ALS. Pain and numbness point away from ALS. Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. Anxiety can make twitching worse. Your strength was normal, and the neurologist didn’t feel you have ALS. Anxiety is certainly a possible explanation. But not ALS.
Thank you so much for replying, Karen. Have a nice evening!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back