Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
LO
City
LONDON
Symptoms: Atrophy, stiffness, Clumsiness, pain, twitches, burping, tremor, resting spasm

Pretty terrified, About a year ago I noticed a tremor in my fingers. No other symptoms. Things slowly progressed - The tremor is now everywhere, Even my private parts and it occurs.

A few months ago I got a ton of pain in the right side of my body - bone and muscle pain and then was getting some nerve pain and things like that. Then I got some spasm in my back or something that is non-stop... Regardless of anything it's there. Then my leg went really weak and I developed a limp and had a lot of pain when walking or even sitting - I can still walk on my tip toes and heels but not for long. The leg has also lost a lot of muscle when compared to my left leg (non-dominant)

Same with my hand on the left side, It doesn't feel that week but the muscle has atrophied and it is very wrinkled and there is a massive dent, none of which has been there before.

More recently the burping started, whenever I eat something or drink something I cannot stop burping.

Up until a few weeks ago I thought it was MS but it doesn't cause atrophy and muscle shaking. I went to a neurologist that said he thinks there is nerve irritation in my C-spine and am awaiting an MRI that I believe to be useless (my brain MRI already returned clear)
I'm also getting a lot of pain pretty much all around but focused in my back and right side

I'm so scared. I'm not normally afraid of illness but at 21... I'm scared.

What diseases could mimic ALS?

Hi sid-

We recommend you read this first: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms

It addresses much of what you are concerned about. The things you list (burping!!) have nothing to do with ALS. Please keep working with your doctors to figure out what's going on, but this, as you will read in the above link, does not follow the pattern that would make a neurologist concerned about ALS. It's also clear your neurologist has a good idea what the trouble is too, so posting here is only helping increase your anxiety- listen to your doctor!

Please read the link above carefully, write a list of your questions to ask the doctor, and let us know after your next appointment how things go.

all the best

The burping, but the atrophy and weakness along with the fact it's occuring in my left hand and right leg, also the narrowing in my spinal cord :(

Sure, you can "Yeah, but..." all you like if you're convinced you have ALS, but the neurologist is the one with access to all your scans, has seen you in person and has the medical training to assess you properly. Again, I direct you to the link you've been provided and report back after your next appointment. Your neuro is the one you'd want to ask your questions directly to because they're the one who can help you the most with regards to directing inquiry.

The question is not what diseases mimic ALS, but what conditions you might have. The spine MRI will show if you have a disk or central cord problem. There are also adult onset muscular dystrophies, viruses, and of course benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS) that are much higher probability than any diffuse neurologic disorder like ALS.

So as you have read, following up with your medical team is the way to go. If terror is keeping you from normal activities, you can get counseling on line. Just remember, 99% of what might be wrong at your age is very treatable.

Best,
Laurie

Sidturner, below is a list of mimics.

Many are curable, most are treatable... none are ALS.

*Below is a list of early symptom mimics with suspicious
symptoms. Again, none are ALS.

Anxiety
Myasthenia Gravis.
Multifocal Motor Neuropathy.
The Parsonage–Turner syndrome.
Spinobulbar Muscular Atrophy, or Kennedy's Disease.
Demyelinating Syndrome
Asymmetrical Spinal Muscular Atrophy.
Cervical Polyradiculopathy.
Facial-onset Motor Neuropathy.
Hereditary Spastic Paraparesis.
Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis.
Metabolic Myelopathies.
Corticobasal Degeneration.
Cervical Myeloradiculopathy.
Multiple Sclerosis.
Carpel Tunnel Syndrome.
Benign Fasciculations.

Only your Neurologist can determine any of the possibilities.

You do need help with the first one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back