Reason
Other
Country
COL
State
bogotá
City
bogotá
Hello everyone, I would like to thank you all for taking the time of reading and replying this. I am a med student from Colombia and my English is a little rusty, but I will do my best to communicate my messy thoughs.

Last November I was on my campus when I started having little jerk moves. For example, when I wanted to raise my hand it raised in an exaggerated way, or I would change position and my foot would move too even if I hadn't thought about it. Since it didn't go away, I started to become stressed and I started to somatize many symptoms like a tensional headache and shivers. I had a panic attack and my uncle called a doctor he knew. He made me a physical examination and told me that neurologically i was perfect. I calmed down but the jerks continued since then. I had another breakdown at university because of them, and that same day I had a magnetic resonance of my head, which came clean. I calmed down again but the jerks continued.

This year i went to a neurologist that made me another physical examination and told me I was great, with no pathological signs. He diagnosed me a benign tremor and prescribed propranolol. I told him I wanted an electromyography and a nerve conduction study to rule out anything serious and he told me that while he didn't find it necessary because It was probably just a dopamine excess, he would write me an order because the results may calm me. In February, two weeks before the exam I noticed I had a small fasciculation in my right arm that twitches every day at every time, specially if I extend all my fingers. I started to become paranoid that maybe it was als and I was devastated. My jerks continued with the fasciculation.

I had the two tests and they came back good, alongside a thyroid test that came normal. The neurologist that made the electromyography and nerve study told me that if it was an sclerosis it would look really obvious. I told him about the fasciculation in my hand but he told me to not worry about it. I went to my first neurologist and he told me it was probably the dopamine, that I shouldn't worry about it anymore and I parted. Fast forward and since then I started having really strong fasciculations all over my body, starting on my calves and moving randomly to my arms, knees, quadriceps, etc. In addition to this I feel weird when walking and really paranoid about everything. I learned about benign fasciculation syndrome and its relationship with stress, but my atypical start with the jerks made me a little skeptical and my neurology professors are not familiar with it.

I am developing panic attacks and anxiety symptoms because of this, specially when I'm going to do something physical like a trip we made to a hill-filled countryside part of the city, or when I go to the gym. My anxiety is getting out of control because I keep waiting for the day something will fail me. I was never an anxious or stressed person, I was the most carefree and relaxed student I knew, so I don't know what caused my initial symptoms. Right now I'm feeling really stiff, with the small jerking moves, no clinical weakness (i even go to the gym), really strong and random fasciculations in legs and sometimes in arms, and permanent small fasciculations on both hands everytime i extend my fingers, but I have seen them with no cause (picture attached). I read that als fasciculations are weak and on the distal axonic terminals and this fuels my fear that it may be something more than BFS or that in a few months i will be worse.

I'm currently looking for a psychiatrist to manage my medical anxiety,because it is starting to take a toll in my relationships and study, but I'm still afraid even after talking with my teachers, reading pages and pages of this forum and my tests. My personal life has been really affected by this and these four months have really taken a toll on me. What do you all think I have? What could have started it? I admit that I knew about als long before I studied medicine and when my jerks started i started to consider the possibility of it.
Thank you all, I hope not to be bothering too much and I wish you all the best.

Attachments

• 20180314_213106.jpg
    20180314_213106.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 421
  • 20180314_213101.jpg
    20180314_213101.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 2,006
Last edited:
Please go back and edit your post.
Without paragraphs, it's unreadable.

Wow, I had to write it on my phone and I had no idea it looked that messy. I'm sorry, I already fixed it.

You are describing what sounds like benign fasciculations and anxiety. Not ALS.

Thanks for your reply! I get the anxiety part, because my condition makes it, but it is possible a BFS that started with soft jerks and without visible/strong/noticeable fasciculations? I now have them everywhere but when it started I didn't have any, that is what makes me skeptic.

Skeptical of what? What is it you don't believe?

You don't have ALS, that's for sure. Are you taking any medication for anything?

Stress and anxiety can cause your muscle to jump, twitch, be spastic, tense up so tight they hurt. Stress and anxiety can make your muscles tighten up so much you get bent over. The mind is very powerful.

Nothing else besides the propranolol. I also have recurrent paresthesias in both legs and on my upper back, and sometimes I feel really hyperactive (I attribute this to the anxiety that all this gives me).
The fact is, I don't really feel stressed about anything besides this, that was the reason I dismissed everyone telling me it was stress. Maybe that's why the full blown fasciculations only appeared after I started thinking about als. Even though the asl hypothesis doesn't make sense here I'm still really paranoid. Right now I'm having a soft pain in my hand where the fascic is, and I woke up with pain in my big toe when I bend it, and it is really worrying me. My last question is: If everything started in november, and it would be any kind of MND, would it show more serious symptoms right now? Thank you all, I hate to bother you with this.

Last edited:
You do not have ALS.

Please go away. :)

Hey guys, thank you all for your replies. I visited a psychiatrist and I'm taking some meds and a week later I'm feeling way better with fewer leg/arm fasciculations and everything. The only thing that keeps bothering me is my left hand twitch, since it is still there after more than two months, and a few days ago I saw some mini fasciculations right beside it in my hand (they were really small and I couldn't feel them), and I know that true fasciculations are that small and spread locally and that keeps me anxious about this, even with the meds.

The differences with the other ones is that this one was the first, and is almost always there, at rest or when I flex my hand/finger, and those differences are what make me scared of this even after everything I read here, since some small fasciculations can be seen before weakness in some als-reported cases. The only thing that calms me is that I have a similar, albeit smaller, one on my right hand when I flex it a little. I will not bother you again after this, I'm really scared and ashamed. Thank you for everything.

lad it's working out and you are getting the help you need. Thanks for reporting back. Keep seeing your psychiatrist and dealing with your symptoms with the doctor. There's no need for you to ask for people here to keep reassuring you about your twitching as you are getting help from your doc. You are free of ALS and visiting here feeds your anxiety.

Best wishes

Thank you very much, I actually calm myself by reading the replies on the forum threads, since it really reassures me.

I would like to read what anyone has to say about the distal-proximal spreading of fasciculations, since they are spreading in my left hand from its original point and I now have them on my thumb and under my tendon, alongside some little ''real'' fasciculations. This keeps me worried and disrupts my treatment, since my neurology teacher said that als fasciculations started like that.

Mateo, it is time for you to remove yourself from this forum. It simply can not replace the help of a therapist. Your continued presence here is feeding your anxiety and preventing you from moving on. If your neuro instructor has said something you wish to know more about, please ask them.

Be well, and please continue to work on your anxiety with someone who is qualified to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back