21 y/o with symptoms and upcoming EMG - Needing help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

plb7

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello,

21 y/o needing advice. About 12 months ago I started experiencing extreme brain fog that now comes and goes. 6-8 months ago I started having minor balance problems/numbness/weakness and over the last 3 months this has developed into weakness/tightness/twitching in my legs and forearms. A brain MRI 6 months ago was clear however these symptoms have continued. A more recent MRI indicates the potential for a very early stage form of Chiaria Malformation. My neurologist however doesn't think this could be causing this many symptoms due to it barely meeting the threshold of the condition. She has ordered EMGs to be done for a month from now and I am frightened that this might be ALS. Is brain fog a symptom anyone has experienced. Thank you.

Hello-

Please make sure to read here first: Read Before Posting

Brain fog is a symptom like "coughing". It is too general to be associated with one condition- it could be anything from nutritional deficiencies, lack of restful sleep, meds, post-viral issues, to so many other conditions.

EMGs are not just to rule out ALS and can provide a neuro much more information with which to make a diagnosis. She ordered a nerve conduction study too, I bet. While it seems a long way off, a month is pretty quick, as these things go. This will provide your neuro with much more information to help guide her in next steps.

Let us know how the EMG goes.
I am pretty sure your neurologist did not suggest you may have ALS.
Brain fog, as already mentioned is very vague and it is not an ALS starting symptom at all.

I will update when able. I am praying that this Chiaria Malformation is what's causing it since the symptoms can be similar it is just frustrating that my neuro thinks it is something else.

It's spelled "Chiari" and it's very unlikely that you have ALS. Far more likely, you have a post-Covid syndome or other systemic condition, if anything.

I expect the EMG will be reassuring as regards ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back