Reason
Other
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
Ever since I saw the ice bucket challenge on YouTube I've been traumatized about the disease. My mind would tell me that every time I would feel weak or have trouble doing something, I would be coming down with early symptoms for ALS.

I'm 20 years old, on a tennis scholarship in the states and do bodybuilding seriously on the side. I've been living with the fear of having ALS since August of 2015. I probably have health anxiety or something as I am a very anxious person but I wanted your guys' feedback on some symptoms I am experiencing.

1. Just recently my forearm has been feeling kind of stiff and tight. I did a back and bicep workout and I never felt my forearm be so stiff. As I'm writing it still is stiff. It's also a numb and tingling feeling. I just can't describe it.

2. I just came back from a chest and tricep workout. I'm currently cutting and down 18 pounds. I'm in my 6th week in a deficit but not once have I felt my tricep giving out like that. It felt weak and fatigued.

3. When I hold my phone in my right hand (same hand as tricep and forearm) I realized that it just feels funny and not right compared to my left. I won't necessarliy say my fingers are stiff, I can move them fine but they just feel funny.

Can ALS start in the whole arm or just one part? I'm so terrified and for the last few days I've been convincing myself I have it. Do these symptoms sound like something targeted towards ALS?

Will, you have nothing to worry about on the ALS front. Your tricep isn't going to feel weird on the first day of cutting. It certainly can, has a right to, 6 weeks in. Time to re-evaluate diet + workouts + practice + matches. Keep a food/activity diary and see what pops up. Some carpal tunnel ex (check YouTube) couldn't hurt, either, nor could some Tai Chi or Pilates, something to elongate those upper extremities you're taxing with lifting and hitting.

Are you a right-hander, I'm guessing? Averaging 3lb a week down at your age and activity level is not a walk in the park. I hope you're doing this with a trainer. Might try physio/massage on the arm.

Anyway, very fixable from what you've said and you're not the first to internalize the ice buckets. When you get to the ATP, drop a few coins in?:)

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back