20 year old, twitching, weird NCS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooyoung

Reason
Learn about ALS
Hey everyone, I am 20, and have been twitching for about 10 months now. I am very worried about having als, so please keep with me :).

My twitching started in my right shoulder, then was a bit bodywide, and spread to my left tricep, where it was on and off for 2 months ! It would usually go away with movement or rapid change of activity. It miraculously went away when I went for a school trip, however I slowly started getting some body wide twitching after 2 weeks, and sometimes in my tricep again. However that tricep muscle would twitch rarely, and my forearm became the most affected. At first I would have only like 3-4 episodes of twitches a day in the arm, lets say a period o 5 twitches in the forearm, then one pop in the tricep etc...combined with twitches in other places which I did not count though. It was stable like this for a long time, and seemed to get worse with anxiety, there were days when I pretty much did not even twitch bodywide, and got only 2 periods of twitching in my arm, one tricep and one forearm for example. It slowly also moved to my right hand, but the consistency of twitches was lower of same as my left.

The problem is, I pushed towads an emg a month and a half ago, which was quite weird, but my NCS showed low amplitude of medial motor nerve. Since then my twitching increased, especially in my calfs, thights etc. 2 days ago I had an emg done at a researacher, who works for the main neurologist in my country, the needle part was done on 15 muscles and all of them were completely fine, no fascics, full reqruitment, she says this is like textbook examples how it should be. The problem is, my NCS again showed low medial nerve amplitude. 3.9mV, the right showed 8. something...So, now I am worried about this, I read that amplitude is affected usually by degeneration and lowers with weakness, however I found some cases here where low amplitude was on their strong mucles (1 case however of not fully confirmed als, but the other case seems legit). 3.9 mV is too low for my age, the first NCS showed 2.6, but there maybe was error, and I cannot really compare whether the amplitude increased or decreased. In every textbook I read, that this happens after weakness, but still I found a case here where he had low amplitude and no weakness.

So my questions are, anyone here presented the same way ? Is it possible for me to have als ?

Is my twitching, like 4-7 periods in a limb (and in different musces of the limb, for example, 3 in diff forearm muscles, 2 in tricep and 1 in bicep) similar to anyones or did was your twitching more constant if it was the first symptom ?

I am still able to gain strength and bulk when working out, anyone here managed the same when having symptoms ?
I appreciate your help, thanks :)

I had an emg done at a researacher, who works for the main neurologist in my country, the needle part was done on 15 muscles and all of them were completely fine, no fascics, full reqruitment,

A fully normal EMG means you’re clear of ALS.

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. It doesn’t matter how much you twitch, if it’s body-wide, fast, slow, etc.

All of the above without muscle function failure and combined with your young age means you don’t have ALS.

Please read the sticky for more information: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

A fully normal EMG means you’re clear of ALS.

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. It doesn’t matter how much you twitch, if it’s body-wide, fast, slow, etc.

All of the above without muscle function failure and combined with your young age means you don’t have ALS.

Please read the sticky for more information: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

Thanks, I know, I am not looking for diagnosis here, I am just curious, how the twitching of these people here were like. Because if I am to observe my twitching, which in days where I was not anxious, was very minimal, like 2-3 twitches in my hand, and very few in legs, I feel like this cannot be als, but then there is the small amplitude, that's why I wonder, if people with als also get this small twitching, or had similar emgs. Thank you for answering though :)

This forum is not really set up for you to compare your symptoms to others, though you’re certainly welcome to browse through other posts.

As I stated previously, twitching doesn’t matter.

Either one has ALS or one doesn’t, and you don’t.

This forum is not really set up for you to compare your symptoms to others, though you’re certainly welcome to browse through other posts.

As I stated previously, twitching doesn’t matter.

Either one has ALS or one doesn’t, and you don’t.
Thanks, do you think i can make a threat thkugh regarding twitching And not my emg

No. You are allowed one open thread and only on this subforum. This is it You were already told twitching is not a worrisome sign without other issues you don’t have. Twitches come in all types and it doesn’t matter small large visible invisible felt or not.

You had an emg that was normal and one thing on your ncs. Ncs is usually normal in ALS and the EMg is abnormal as is the clinical exam. Follow up with your doctor and stop reading about ALS

Good luck

No. You are allowed one open thread and only on this subforum. This is it You were already told twitching is not a worrisome sign without other issues you don’t have. Twitches come in all types and it doesn’t matter small large visible invisible felt or not.

You had an emg that was normal and one thing on your ncs. Ncs is usually normal in ALS and the EMg is abnormal as is the clinical exam. Follow up with your doctor and stop reading about ALS

Good luck
Yes ok, thanks. In your emg was the amplitude low ať the beginning though ?

Btw, how can i send private messages please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back