Other
Country
SIN
State
Singapore
City
Singapore
Dear ALS/MND Support Community,

My symptoms started late July. At the time, I was about to leave abroad for college to Singapore, and I started having a severe, debilitating even feeling of exhaustion and physical fatigue and lightheadedness, almost as if I was going to faint any minute. My mom and I attributed that to anxiety and quickly got over it. My lightheadedness did not go away, yet I wasn't as strong for much of the time until now.

When I arrived to college, I have started to feel pressure in my head and ear, which a doctor said might be an ear infection (he didn't really look into it) and gave me antibiotics. I have developed tinnitus.

Sometime during that time I noticed alarming symptoms that have more to do with ALS than anything else I described. My foot began to tingle and feel week - happened for one night, went away, came back next week. After coming back the week after it stayed until now (I'd say two months). Sometime after the leg had started tingling my arm (Both leg and arm are on the right side) was feeling weak, it had some muscle pain (comes from my shoulder).Right now I am particularly scared as my leg has significant muscle atrophy that is visible (my right thigh). My little finger on my right hand is harder to move. I have been having serious twitching in my right leg and right arm (not the left side of body).

Apart from that, I have been having vision problems.

Now, since I've read the stickies, I know that sensory issues and lightheadedness are not indicative of ALS, I was wondering if the other symptoms are discarded, can my weakness be attributed to ALS?

How long does it usually take for ALS to jump from the leg to the arm (all of these symptoms have appeared in the last three months, roughly)?

I'm sorry to trouble you with this mix of strange symptoms, it is just that I have no one to vent to in a new college environment, especially since my dad has been having heart issues and stress can really damage his recovery.

Also, my blood work is perfect, my reflexes are 2+, no family history of ALS. And last question: would I have significant, clinical weakness by the time atrophy occurs, or is it possible for that to come in a bit later in the progression of the disease, assuming this is ALS?

Sorry you are having health issues. You really need to go to a doctor and go down the list of concerns. No one on the internet can give you a diagnosis.

Hi -- ALS/MND is a scary disease to consider/fear. We empathize. This note is not to deter you from your investigations, but just so thoughts on how we can help each other ...

Here are some first considerations that may help:

#1 - Read the STICKIES at the top of this forum. Many questions are answered there. 99% of new questions are addressed.

#2 We are not doctors or diagnosticians, but people who are dying from or caring for people with ALS. Some of us have to type with one hand, one finger, via dictation, or even with our eyes, so reading/replying to the anxiety-ridden can be very tiring.

#3 if you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your Primary Care Provider and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND (Motor Neuron Disease) experienced!

#4 an EMG, properly done, is the gold standard test for ALS. But also, an abnormal EMG can indicate HUNDREDS of other, non-fatal, diseases. So listen to your doctor.

#5 ALS does NOT present with pain, cramps, or fatigue. In ALS, you feel perfectly normal but your muscles simply won't work. Typically, the first sign of ALS is a foot or a hand that inexplicably just won't lift up. It doesn't hurt or feel weak, it just is limp. That is paralysis.

#6 ALS is about failing, not feeling, so forget the "feeling" symptoms

#7 If your main issue is twitching go to the bfs forum. If you have weird neuro symptoms try neurotalk. There are also forums for health anxiety.

#8 Your doctor is wise to look at other diseases. ALS is rare. In order for it to be ALS, it has to be nothing else.

#9 Many of us cough/gag/choke and/or can no longer speak. It is difficult to have anxious people constantly chasing this disease, when we can't escape it. There seems to be this cult of ALS wannabees/groupies. You don't want to fall into that bucket do you?

#10 Anxiety can be a real problem that can endanger your physical health. It is what leads many folks here to this forum -- it is a self-fueling fire. Try to avoid using google and/or this forum if you can -- if you cannot stay away and off this forum it should tell you something important!

Lastly, if you are still interested, go to alsa dot org or mda dot org ...

We sincerely hope you do not need to be here! But find out first. If you do need to be here let me say "Welcome, sorry you are here!"

-----
Max - Monday, August 18, 2014 12:03:01 PM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

If you had read the stickies associated with this subforum you would not have wasted your time writing this post or our time reading and answering it.
Why can't people following the rules instead of being f----ing lazy

Dalvin,
What do them dashes mean?

Feeling awful: You are being disrespectful by not reading the stickies. All your answers are there.

>What do them dashes mean?

fleeting

Skipper, it's a bad word

>Skipper, it's a bad word

oh, I don't know ... depends on the context :)

Think Skipper was pulling your chain boys, and you bought it! Hooray Skipper! One for the girls!

.>Hooray Skipper! One for the girls!

:)

I have visited a neurologist and my clinical was good, no clinical weakness. He did, however, notice serious muscle atrophy in my leg and scheduled an EMG, NCS and Unltrasound (why the ultrasound I do not fully know). Will be waiting for answers next week.

My post did come after a burst of health anxiety, a moment of weakness and the fact that I am alone here to deal with this. I regret using this forum as a release, that is very unfair and idiotic of me. I wish you all great strength!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back