00/0000
Country
UK
State
MA
City
Bolton
Evening,

My issues started around October 2018 with constant bodywide twitching and random muscle jerks. I thought nothing of it as i’ve had fasciculations in my legs for over a year and they have never been a problem.

Fast forward to 3 months ago and i started to get an achy neck, as if it was a real task to keep my head up right but that resolved itself and i carried on.

Around 2 months ago is where the issues really started. My tounge became scalloped and i started slurring some words, although nobody seems to notice. I began to notice how much my right shoulder was aching when doing simple tasks such as brushing my teeth or talking on the phone. It worried me so i saw my GP who did a neurological exam and found a positive babinski but no clinical weakness. I explained the muscle fatigue in my shoulder and told her about my twitching and aching pain i would get in my neck and legs. She ordered an MRI which came back clean, as did blood tests. Since then i thought all was good.

Around 2 weeks ago i noticed the front of right calf was burning when walking, as if it was tired after walking for only 10 minutes. Then my left forearm decided to join in, my hand shakes when holding drinks or my phone and constantly feels achy. My index finger regularly twitches and the forearm is noticeably skinnier than my right forearm. I can still walk toe to heel and complete pretty much everything i could do 6 months ago, although my right foot refuses to lift off the ground as much as my left when standing on my heels. I also have cognitive changes such as extreme forgetfulness, zoning out alot and just feeling slower mentally.

So with the twitching, quick fatigue of the muscles, presumed atrophy of left forearm; could this be ALS? At only 20 i thought i was far too young but it’s more common than i realised. I would appreciate your opinions on if you see ALS in my symptoms. Sorry about how long winded this post is, thank you.

Please read this if you have not already done so: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

I don’t see ALS at all in your post. You describe sensory symptoms such as pain and burning, and these are not characteristic of ALS. Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. Slurred speech that nobody else can hear does not constitute failure.

The fact that no clinical weakness was found on exam should reassure you.

Quick fatigue of the muscles is nonspecific. Atrophy is something that can only be assessed by a physician and usually relates to mechanical imbalance and asymmetry, which most people have to some degree.

Keep working with your doctor, but I don’t see ALS here.

Thank you for the reply. I’ve read the stickes multiple times and i would usually be reassured but the progression of symptoms worries me. Although my grip strength is still within normal range, my forearm feels week when holding literally anything and i usually have to switch arms to let it recover. I appreciate the reply, would this be an typical presentation of MND? I’ve heard people talk of slow progression of weakness with an affected muscle, and i’ve heard people talk of muscle function failure where a task is simply impossible to do anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back