Diagnosis
12/2007
Country
Uni
State
Tennessee
City
Rutledge
Well everyone this is the first I've been on in months and just wait till you hear what I've been through!
On August 18th ( our 25th Wedding Anniversary), I suffered a massive pulmonary embolism that is also called a saddle embolism. I actually arrived at the hospital DOA, they brought me back got me stable enough to tell me of this dangerous drug called TPA that could save me or could cause massive internal bleeding or a brain bleed and cause me to die. I asked if I had a chance of dying without the TPA and they said yes. So I decided if I could die either way, let's do the TPA. It took another 4 to 5 hours before I was out of the woods. Spent a week in the hospital and now I'm on blood thinners for life.
Was having a hard time recovering and getting strength back, but was okay'd for travel, which I had a vacation scheduled in August for 3 days after I got out of the hospital and of course was told no traveling. So we canceled our plans, but was looking forward to be able to reschedule, because we were going to see our son & granddaughter. So I was finally cleared and we went October 7th -14th. Then on October 15th I was admitted into the hospital with both heels blistered like nothing you can imagine, both heels completely blistered, the left heel was black, and the right heel looked like a huge water blister. They debris ed them and said it would be months before they healed. So back & forth to the podiatrist & wound care.
My home health aides for PT, OT and nurse, were noticing big fluctuations in my heart rate, and on the morning of October 29th my nurse had my BP at 90/49 and my heart rate as 32, called my dr, sent me to the er....where they immediately brought me back to the trauma bay and within minutes was told I needed a pace maker. Now because I'm on a blood thinner they were stuck. They usually like you off them for at least 3 days, but they didn't think I'd last that long. So they agreed to put it in the next day on the 30th, the last surgery of the day. So I was put into cvicu and the nurse was so nervous he kept coming in with other nurses and he was noticeably nervous and kept saying I just wish they'd get you in surgery, because my heart rate kept dipping tp 30.
So once again I'm mending from being in the hospital, have been told by many Dr's and nurses that I'm a miracle, I shouldn't be here with what I've been through. I guess I'm like a cat with 9 lives, 2 down, 7 to go. Sorry it was long, but these last 2 months have been a living hell, but hopefully I'm done with all this bad stuff and it's blue skies from here.

Wow! Nice anniversary and timing for your trip. Take care of yourself, "kitty." What blood thinner are you on?

What some people will do for attention. Sounds like you are a tough one, keep on keeping on.

Wow, you have had a tough two months! I'd say you're a miracle. So glad you made it though, and I sure hope you're done with all this excitement!

Amazing! I think to have made it thru all of that you have a purpose, maybe one you don't realize yet. Perhaps you will inspire understanding or compassion in someone, or a desire to educate and not judge a situation. It will be interesting though if your past experiences are any indication:)

There is an old Chinese curse; May you live in interesting times. Here's wishing you boredom.
Vincent

Thanks for the responses. The blood thinner I'm on is xarelto and have been told it's for life. I'm wondering what my purpose is, but I do agree it has to be something. And yes everyone I'm looking forward to living a boring life from here on out. No more scares or life threatening anythings!
I'm on the mend, of course going through all this has left me weak as hell, so I have a long way to go with PT & OT to get some strength back. Plus I'm still tired alot and working on that also. Glad to be here & thankful every morning my eyes open.

This sounds awful! My father was recently diagnosed and suffered an embolism as well. He has been in the hospital/rehab care for 6 weeks. He is now in a wheelchair and will likely stay there. I think they will have him on thinners forever as well. Take care of yourself.

I am really sorry to hear what you have been through. Glad to hear you made it through those scares (many do not!).

Glad to see you back.

Steve

Oh wow. That's certainly a tale to tell.
I'm so glad you are still with us. Must have been a very scary time for your family.
Take care of you.
God bless, Janelle x

Wow! You are the poster child for "Keep on keeping on!" What resiliency! Hope you have a calm, peaceful season of recovery. Glad you're back with us in every way!

Thank you again for the responses. I am lucky to have made it through these rough times. I'm very thankful I did and know it comes from a higher power. There's a reason I'm here, not sure what it is yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back