Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a wee question please. My mother says that my dads starts to cry out of nowhere , remembering old occurences.
Is this a sympton of ALS too? as it has been mentioned once to me before. But Im not entirely sure how it could be linked to a MND.
thank you

Yes it is, look at the section on FTD on the main page and some of your questions can be answered there. Peace. Hugs.

Pumpie,

Your Dad is likely grieving. As I recall his diagnosis is recent. My family and I cried often and for several weeks. A year in, and I still cry (sob!) randomly and easily. I don't have FTD. Having ALS is no picnic, and it is emotional. One can be doing an activity and suddenly wonder if it's for the last time. While I don't personally dwell on dark thoughts, my heart is most definitely on my sleeve. My husband, who has neither ALS or FTD now cries easily too. He was not much of a crier and it was emotional for me too to see him grieve so openly.

If however, there are bouts of crying lasting a long time and seemingly uncontrollable or conversely laughing inappropriately, then I would reckon ths can be due to the ALS. There are, I understand, medications for this.

It may be unsettling to his family that your Dad cries easily, especially if he has rarely done so in the past, but this ALS is an unsettling thing to grapple with. This may be your Dad's new normal.

It breaks my heart t hear that my dad is crying. Given he is also is denial that there is anything wrong with him and the nuero' thinks thats a good thing, we havent told him he has als.
and we are probably not going to tell him.
he will lose hope as at the moment he walks upright like a soldier. I know what you mean about crying, I cry easily when i think of my dad in crippled state in the future.
I seek assistance from an Indian Homeopath,he prescribed my dad a couple of tonics only available in India. He is saying without doubt I will see some change in my dad. as soon as I see my dad, and see a difference I will report it to you!
all my love. all my care and heartfelt wishes.

Pumpie,

I knew instinctively that I had ALS by the time I finally went to see my GP. I would bet your sweet Dad also knows. Maybe he's trying to protect his family, as you are trying to protect him.

Personally, I would not want my family to hold back the truth from me. It's my body. My life. Knowing about a fatal illness affords one the opportunity to correct wrongs, make peace, hug tighter and live better each day. I am still the boss of me. I decide what intervention I may or may not want. Should those choices be taken away from me, I would be devastated.

I hope you get to see your Dad before too long.

I understand what you are saying Ottawa Girl, but my fathers situation is different. I recollect mentioning to my brother one day that dad's brain had shrunk beyond his years per the MRI that was taken. My father over heard and he sunk into depression. There are other episodes since then to show some cognitive decline has taken place and to tell him he has a terminal disease would just be too much for him to bear. The nuerologist that examined him remarked that this was also the best course of action given my father's case.

Now for his update. He returned from India fter 5 weeks, in a much worse state than I could imagine. but this improved as I think was down to the long flight also. What I have noticed is that his speech has slight slurrying.

other than that he has no strength in his thumbs now , and so can not your the remote car key lock.

His FTD was also showing immense colours in India. Bad mood, repitition, lack of appetite, less socially and emotionally.

Now this bit is interesting for me. My homeopathic doctor prescribed some nerve tonics and a dementia tonic and guaranted it wouldwork. but it woudl take time for it to kick in.

Its been 6 weeks now of taking.

he is no longer repeating things, he is loquacious,he asking for food and shows hunger , he remembers his old food favourites, he is no longer ill mooded or difficult. I think it is really working. For the past 7 month he was not eating unless he was told to eat and encouraged. he had forgotten what he loved in terms of food. This is all coming back all of a sudden. So small mercies, the FTD does look like under control.

Starting him on coconut oil 1 week ago, 2 tblspns a day, we shall see where that take us now.

homopathic doctor is wrong guarenteeing it will work. any herbalist, homeopathic or naturalist doctor that guarentees something will work i recommend you nail your wallet shut and run as fast as possible. so much better to try this as it may help. supplements and homeopathic may help and i have been doing them for over three years, but please do not expect a guarentee

Hi! It does seem strange that there are improvements, but one thing we discovered through some research is that in the early stages, that the body will try to find ways around damaged areas. My partner, Michel, started taking brufen early on, and not for pain, which all the doctors thought he was taking it for, but for inflammation. He found when he took this that he felt he could walk better. So, my thought may be that it may not be an actual reversal or improvement, but the body working around affected areas. However, as the disease progresses, this becomes less and less possible. Also, my partner underwent every test possible, and these all came back negative. His neurologist said he could be in the small percentage that show a negative result but actually have MND. At one stage he was diagnosed as having auto-immune disease which made us jump for joy because he could have 4 months of treatment with IVIG and get better. I knew before he started the treatment, that it was probably MND. We went out to dinner one evening before Christmas 2011, and he started slurring his words. He sounded drunk and we had not even had a drink. That was my sign! Also, as his third neurologist reminded us when he confirmed ALS, it is all about the process of eliminating everything else. I hope it is not your father's case. Graham

Pearshoot this homeopathic doctor like a father figure to me , he has not charged me any amount and a years supply has cost £100 which in the grand scheme is nothing in comparison to what we have spent on other vitamins . He has guaranteed that it will work on my fathers FTD dementia ... So far it has for the FTD symptoms as for ALS I am Expecting nothing . So we shall see , I will report my findings .

Also I would like to add, that giving dad homeopathic medicines 4 times a day makes us feel like we are doing something. It is very hard to accept and sit back and do nothing. And so if it is a fruitless cause, it is indirectly helping us feel less useless than we already do.

not fruitless, homopathic can help, but no guarentee, beleive eastern medicine kee[ps me going

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back