Distinguished member
Country
CZ
State
CZ
City
Prague
Hi,
I havent posted for a while and was just hanging around. I still have only fasciculations going on and off but last days I am experiencing excess saliva. I know that with ALS this is UMN symptom (not just you inability to swallow, but hypersalivation itself is UMN symptom). So of course I am quite nervous - the saliva is very "water"-like and I feel that I need to wipe out corner of my mounth often. I have no clue how early or laterly it comes with ALS, but I have no medication or condition that should explain it.
Thank you for your advice!

Just one person's experience: When my bulbar symptoms were starting, I had a very, very dry mouth. Later (two years later?), I developed thin hypersalivation, compounded by my loss of lip seal, which means drooling. The bigger problem has become thickening secretions and saliva.

There may be OTC remedies to help you. There are prescribed medications that work well, too. I have not heard of this as an onset symptom of ALS.

This drooling thing that so many experience has got to be a major annoyance! There must be something PZ Laboratories can come up with to combat this malady. Something like a "Drool Catcher" or "Slobber Sponge". Even better, a "Saliva Suppresor With Lip Seal" or "Saliva Sealing Drool Inhibitor".

I'm just trying to make this a little less unpleasant...

Another day of feeling tight & crampy, folks but I'm smiling! Everybody say, "Cheese!"

Zaphoon

I think that maybe a permanent suction device would be just the ticket. Something like the things that you can buy for bicycle riding, a CamelBack but in reverse. Instead of a hose that you suck on to get a drink, a hose that you stick in your mouth to suck up the drool. Can the PZ labs come up with a prototype? :smile::smile:

We sure can. It will operate on any 110 electrical outlet or for the portable user, 4 D cell batteries.

Uh , those batteries are not the ones you have been using for your junk testing are they ?

I'm laughing my butt off, Glen.

No, these are fresh (guaranteed! really!)

How big will the reservoir be ? I drool like a rabid dog ...

Find a way to attach it to a bipap mask so I dont have to worry about drowning every night.

Glen

I am hoping to set a fashion trend with the tissue-stuffed-in-the-mouth look. I no longer give a damn who stares at me. Get working on that Lip Seal, Kim !

Maybe you could work something out hidden under a huge bushy beard like Peter's avatar.

You guys have such a great sense of humor!
My mom used to cut off a patch of a wash cloth and kind of hide it down in her lower lip like she was chewing tobacco, it cracked us all up, but it worked.

Love,
Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back