Learn about ALS
Country
CZ
State
Prague
City
Prague
Hi,

I am 19 years old, I do have health anxiety, and I have been pretty stressed for the past 3 months. The problem is, about 4 weeks ago, I started twitching in my right shoulder, it came out of nowhere while using the computer. Lasted for a few minutes and vas visible, not in a pattern (changing between slow and fast). I thought of ALS right away, and became aware of my body...I was twitchin all over, but mostly it was 1 on/off twitch, but sometimes I would get constatnt twitch, for example in my calf etc..However a week later, I developed the same constant twitch in my lower tricep, it happened while using the computer, lasted for like 20 minutes I guess, and then I got it the next day while driving in the same location. Lasted for about 30 minutes, until I started moving.

Ever since then, for the last 3 weeks, I have been getting twitches in the tricep area. They are sometimes very fast, usually visible, and I thought they get better with movement. Because every time I got them, it was during resting, or when not being very active. However, this week, we are on a holiday and we have done a lot of hiking and I kept touching and observing my tricep, I could not really feel anything while moving (the twitch might be there, just not possible to feel because the hand extends while walking) and during stopping, I did not seem to get it. However yersterday, I would hike for 30 minutes, then stop and get the twitch RIGHT AWAY. I got his like 2 times.

Until now, I thought the twitching got better with movement but the fact I got it right when stopping, makes me think that the twitching is there while moving, but I jut dont feel it. Now I get the twitching in my tricep most of the time, it is 1 on and off twitch and about 1 or 2 times a day I get very intense and visible twitching which can last up to about 45 minutes. I also get little pop twitches on other body parts, but they are not intesne and last only like a secnd. In 98% of time in happens in the tricep.

Firstival I thought that maybe it could be because of lack of sleep or too much caffeine (about a liter of green tea a day + coffee), but now on vacation all of that is fixed, I only have one coffee for breakfast and it still happens, and also it is localized on the tricep. I did not work out in a long time beffore this started or used my arm very much (even though it is my dominant arm). The bad thing is, that about 2 weeks ago, I actually managed to get rid of the twtich for about 3 days, because I was driving to a football game with a friend, got the twitching in the car, but it dissaperead right, when I started moving, I was positive, and the twitcing really was not there for like 3 days, however I went to watch TV and on the 3rd day, I got the twitch again.

I was not thinking about it or stress about it at that time, which makes be beleive it really is ALS. I am so afraid. Honestly, I just sit there, waiting till it starts twitching, and when it does, it makes me want to kill myself. The twitching is just too much for me to handle. I cannot pay an EMG from my own cash, and I dont think it is covered by insurance.

Any ideas ? Should I be worried ? I dont think I have any weakness (I did hit the gym yersterday, still could lift normally) and I dont think I have any atrophy, but still, I read some stories of ppl having widespread twitching, which move into one spot and then they were diagnosed with ALS. Thank you for help.

P.S I read the sticky and bunch of similar ones on other places, however, everywhere it talks about diffuse twitching, the fact that my is localized really points to als, there does not seem to be another cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Hi, ​ I am 19 years old, I do have health anxiety, and I have been pretty stres

If you really read the sticky, then you know that twitching means absolutely nothing in the absence of muscle function failure. I don’t care how many muscles are twitching or how fast they twitch. Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless. Healthy people twitch. Twitching just is.

Do not waste your money on an EMG. You don’t need one. Please seek help for your anxiety so you don’t waste the long life you otherwise have ahead of you.

Re: Hi, ​ I am 19 years old, I do have health anxiety, and I have been pretty stres

Thank you for answering :) It just worries me its localized, could anxiety cause it ? I read a study where about 26% had twitching as a fisrt symptom

also how rare is it for a 19 year old ?

Extremely rare for age 19. Yes, anxiety can cause twitching. Also stress, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, lack of sleep, and physically overdoing it.

As Karen notes, ALS is at the bottom of the many reasons for localized twitching, so your statement that there is no other cause is completely wrong.

In addition, when you go spells without twitching or thinking about it and it comes back, that is very, very common and goes back to the power of the mind as well. When you "wait until it starts," you are essentially willing those twitches into existence.

Weakness is much more telling, and you don't have it. Rejoice, and get help to reduce your anxiety so you don't spend your life awaiting the next twitch.

Best,
Laurie

jssv, please keep to your own thread and don't post an other people's threads. Please read: https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-...-common-concerns-about-possible-symptoms.html all the way through for posting rules and for answers to your twitching questions- particularly the section titled "Finally". You have been answered already.

Yes, when we say that you have been answered, in this case we mean that we don't read any signs of ALS here. You have misinterpreted both what you have read and your own feelings.

It's a good thing not to have ALS, so just stop chasing it and figure out what will help your tense muscles, from more salads to stretching to a massage. Your problems can be addressed many different ways. The PALS' here, cannot.

Symptom update 19 years old ?

Hello, a few days I posted about twitching in my tricep, which would happen few times a day, last for some time and go away (it weird it behaved this way, if it was caused by anxiety). I have not felt it now for 3 days. Is not that weird ? I was anxious about als this whole time, but my twitching went away...if my twitching was caused by anxiety, how come it went away suddenly ? I did not do any other changes regarding my lifestyle and no way my tricep could have been overworked that time....

So do you think that twitching which lasted for a few weeks, which I experienced lets say only once or twice a day, with various intesity a lasted for about 40 minutes, and now suddenly going away for 3 days could be caused by anxiety maybe ?? Thanks.

Re: Symptom update 19 years old ?

Yes, that is very possible, common, even. Just because you didn't make any lifestyle changes doesn't mean that nothing changed. For example, when you "tweak" a muscle or slightly "pinch" a nerve, those things typically go back to normal on their own, without your having to "change" anything. But if it reappears, that's no big deal. These things come and go, as your body is always moving when you are healthy.

That is one of the reasons we so often say, "twitching by itself means absolutely nothing," and the same for minor soreness or stiffness.

I moved your last post to your previous thread. Please stay in one thread (this one) and do not post elsewhere. But really, there is no reason for you to post again.

Best,
Laurie

Mod note: thread closed. Jssv, please see a doctor. You do not belong on an ALS forum. Your last post (deleted) was inappropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back