Reason
Other
Country
US
State
MA
City
Lynnfield
Hello everybody. I am a 19 year old nursing student going into my sophomore year. I wanted to start off by saying my heart goes out to everyone dealing with this horrid diease. You are all such strong amazing people and my mother and I are looking to donate to the community and would like to know where we should.

My symptoms began last year with severe constipation that after many tests ended up resulting from a muscle spasm that won’t release. That following summer I developed back and neck pain which could be from a strain I got lifting and I never let heal but I’m not sure about that now. Throughout the school year I developed severe muscle fatugue which is odd for me because I lifted weights and done CrossFit my whole life. It even hurt to open a door. My muscles in my back from both arms felt rigidty in its contraction and felt like it wouldn’t work properly. I also developed joint pain through my body.
Fast foward to this summer I have muscle twitches and spasms throughout my body. Just reaching to get soemthing my back seems almost stuck in a constant contraction and my arm fatigues very easily like I️ worked out. My eye constantly twiches throughout the day and when I lay down but whole body seems to. I also have a lot of voice cracks right now and fear that is a symptom. I saw a neurologist who didn’t seem concerned at all saying I passed the neuro exam with flying colors. I’m just afraid he say no clinical weakness because my strength was high to begin with. I then say his assistant who said the same thing and they almost laughed when I mentioned I was scared of ALS.

They ordered a brain MRI for sanity which came back normal, but said an EMG isn’t worth it. I’m afraid there not taking this seriously enough and am terrified I could have ALS. Any of your input would be very appreciated and am wondering if I should push for an EMG. Thank you guys so much for reading and god bless

It does not sound remotely like ALS. Work with your pcp to see what your next steps should be but I don’t think an EMG should be one of them.

If you are interested in donating to the ALS community I suggest you look into ALSONE. They are Massachusetts based ( Whitman) , founded by a PALS and they support MGH UMass, CCALS and ALSTDI here

Congratulations on starting your nursing education

I also wanted to mention that I have gotten about every blood test available from autoimmune to lmyes to mono to a deficiency in vitamins

Nothing in your post suggests ALS. Please read the sticky at the top of this forum (that says “read before posting”) and hopefully this will clarify things for you. Believe your neurologist and ignore the twitching— it means nothing.

Meanwhile, make sure you are keeping well-hydrated and getting adequate rest. A physical therapist might be of help to you. In terms of further evaluation, make sure they checked your thyroid (TSH) and vitamin D level.

Nikki, thank you so much for your quick response. We are going to donate today and I just wanted to say again how great of people you guys are in this forum.

Karen, I thank you aswel for the response, I have gotten all blood work done from defficanys to thyroid/autoimmune/ to lymes diease. I believe it could be cramping fasculation syndrome but will follow up with my doctor to see what he thinks

Relax, you aren't the first person in nursing/ medical/ health school to imagine yourself with some rare terrifying disease. Take some time away from school work to hang out with friends who aren't in the health field. Go for long walks, read a novel, catch some rays. You don't have anything scary going on, you just need a break.
Vincent

Thanks for the response Vincent I really appreciate it. It’s been hard to enjoy those things has of lately because of how I’m feeling. I have taken over a month off of physical activity and have muscle spasticity and twitches throughout my body. Hoping the doctors can figure it out soon as this fear is driving me mad. I do really appreciate all of your time helping and looking at my symptoms when you guys have so much on your plate as it is. My heart goes out to all of you

Hey everybody, I wanted to just follow up and say a couple more of my symptoms and see if anyone has any reason to think and emg could be neccasary. If not I will trust it and drop it. My muscles are so stiff in my back and neck I need to crack them about 20 times a day. There are so right it hurts just to sit. My calves and legs are the same way when I’m played soccer with a friend today I thought id tear the muscles they were so tight. My right eye is now a contasnt twitch (although it could be from worrying). My balance seems a little of and my fingers on both hands are curling because my forearms are so tight. I️ have no idea. I also seem to have extra salvia but no difficulty swallowing food or drink. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you so much

MI1212, we still see no reason for you to be looking into ALS. There is nothing we can do for you here.

No idea what your problem(S) might be.

ALS: no.

Don’t always jump to conclusions

Hello everybody. i just wanted to post a quick thread for everybody who was in the same boat as me. I basically convinced myself that I had ALS. I am A nursing student and learned a lot about the disease and the more I learned the more “symptoms” I had.

It turns out They think I simply have rheumatoid Athritis which didn’t show up right away on blood tests and can cause many of the same symptoms. I stopped living my life because I was so afraid of what I had. The point of this post is that just because you think you have all the symptoms and your absolutely doomed, listen to your doctor. NOT GOOGLE. Dr google is one of the worst things you can do.

I also just want to say that the people on this forum are some of the most caring and amazing people in the world. To be going through such a hard time and have such a positive outlook shows the true strength you guys really have. I have been inspired by all of you and am happy to say I donated and plan to keep donating to the ALS community in hopes that one day there will be a cure.

Thank you guys again, you are the strongest people I know and ever will know.

Re: Don’t always jump to conclusions

Thanks for the update. RA is very treatable and the list of options is growing. Your message is on point and I know it will help someone. All the best in your nursing career.

Best,
Laurie

Whoa, that was fast. Considering you were posting a couple days ago about ALS concerns, I’m glad you got an answer so soon.

Yes, treat RA aggressively and you can still have a long
and satisfying life.

Im glad it didn’t turn out to be ALS.

Thank you for updating us. Reading your posts will help many, I'm sure.

Mod note: Merging threads so folks can see your entire story, and it's conclusion, in one place.

This is good news. While RA can be a hard slog, it sounds like you are on it and making sure you are taking care of yourself. I am so glad you received answers so quickly and are able to start managing it early and aggressively, as Laurie says.

Thank you so very much for returning to let forum readers know. You have helped many future people who will visit us with concerns about their symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back