Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
KY
City
Somerset
Hello. I am 17 years old (M) and I have started twitching on December 2020 and I went searching on Google and seen “ALS” and that scared me to death. I got depressed and cried 24/7. I got perceived weakness occasionally and thought I was the exception, that I was the rare JALS case. I went to the neuro in March 2020 and they didn’t take me serious... all they did was a clinical exam and told me I have benign twitches and did blood work. I really wanted an EMG. Anyways, I kept twitching throughout 2020 and into 2021. I recently just had a bump on my leg and I sort of looked into it more than usual, because I had a twitch somewhere on my leg where i’ve never had one. I feel so weak in my left leg. I am twitching everywhere and my left leg feels in shambles. It feels so weak. I went to the gym today and squatted 145 pounds, but it still feels weak to walk on. I also rolled my left ankle at the gym. I am sobbing and I am now thinking i’m starting to atrophy. My parents won’t take me to the doctor again or take me serious. My left leg feels extremely weak and it feels so unbalanced when walking. I am so depressed and am starting to have suicidal thoughts from this. I don’t know what to do anymore. I can’t have ALS I just can’t. 😭 (I put pictures of my legs side by side)

Attachments

• 8FE28489-BDFE-4A94-9E4E-567AEF161CE4.jpeg
    8FE28489-BDFE-4A94-9E4E-567AEF161CE4.jpeg
    745 KB · Views: 131
  • EE0C8F08-58B8-4711-99B8-8258045A1F9C.jpeg
    EE0C8F08-58B8-4711-99B8-8258045A1F9C.jpeg
    985 KB · Views: 120
  • F5F536C1-C359-42CA-8094-7ED5C7A962B1.jpeg
    F5F536C1-C359-42CA-8094-7ED5C7A962B1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 128
  • 5CBD5058-EBE9-4139-BF8D-33C3CB3D4F00.jpeg
    5CBD5058-EBE9-4139-BF8D-33C3CB3D4F00.jpeg
    535.6 KB · Views: 117
You do not have to be scared. Nothing you have said sounds at all like ALS. Ask your parents to find a counselor for you, who can help you feel less scared and more in control. If they don't take you seriously, ask your teacher or counselor at school or another adult you trust.

If it will take an EMG to reassure you, I am sure that you can get one at some point, but meanwhile, remember that no one your age has ever had a year of twitching and been able to squat 145 lbs and then been diagnosed with ALS.

If you have a real bump on your leg, I don't see one in the photos, but if there is an injury, it is certainly something to show your parents. If it is just a difference in your legs, that is perfectly normal. When one leg starts feeling strange, it is very likely that you maybe strained it lifting or twisting, and aren't giving it the rest or gentle stretching it needs.

Try taking it easy, and if that doesn't work, I'm sure there's a way you can see a doctor. And remember, when you roll an ankle on a leg you're worried about, it is often because you are babying it or overdoing it to test it. Rolling an ankle is not a big deal anyway. We all do it.

When we are overthinking things, they seem much worse than they are. You've said nothing that makes me think you are not healthy -- except for being scared. So you need to get help. And stop googling about ALS.

Read this again -- you do not have ALS. You're right, you just can't, because you don't. Now get up and talk to your parents, because you don't want to keep feeling this way.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for the response. Having perceived weakness in my left arm and left leg. Does ALS progress like that? Or does one muscle have to be completely out and unusable before it progresses.

When you say "perceived weakness," no, it's not the clinical weakness (loss of function) that is ALS.

Please read this really carefully

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back