Diagnosis
03/2008
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
Springfield
I am a choir teacher. One of my students who is 16 has ALS. It is heartbreaking at any age but this is unusual I am told. She is already on Ventilator and Feeding Tube. Any one know of someone so young.

My son is 30 and was just told that he has ALS. I visited a local support group but everyone is over 65 and I know he won't consider going with me. I think it is really hard on someone that young. :cry:

My mom's hospice nurse told us that she had cared for a teenager with ALS. But I think it is quite unusual. And particularly heartbreaking. I bet that you're students will have wonderful ideas about how to keep her spirits up! I teach high school as well and my students were always cracking me up with suggestions for my mom.

I assume you're referring to Haley. There have been rare cases Bobby Suvoy from the Detroit area was another. I've heard of another in the south east but don't have any information. It's humbling for all of us to think of someone that young being diagnosed and all the more reason to make sure that everyone knows about ALS.

Yes,

It is very sad. We saw a young man at Emory that couldn't have been but 16 or 17 slumped in his power chair. I so wished that I could've waived a magic wand for him.

Hello Bert,
This is so tragic. I can't imagine the family's grief.
Click above on the "ALS/MND Support Group Forums" hyperlink to access the list of sub-forums and click on the "In Memorium/In Memory Of" forum and you'll see a thread called "My 16 year old son dies from ALS". It was posted by suvopa01 on May 21 of this year. Unbelievable.
Take care and thanks for letting us know.
Jane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back