M
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Like your husband I wasn't even telling my wife all the times I fell. I now I'm walking with a hurricane. As you can imagine I caught a lot of crap using my putter. So I got a real cane, hurricane. Your husband will believe this, after I broke my neck and I could drive again I bought a Canam 800 four Wheeler. I keep it in the country to ride some trails and deer hunt. This is probably the last fast vehicle that I will ride. I recently ordered a wheelchair, but I'm not sure when I will really need it. Probably sooner than later because I'm not walking that good now with a cane. I use a rollater at home. I hope your husband and I can handle this better, like not falling anymore but we're so used to going fast that it's hard to start going slow. I haven't written much on this form but your messages made me have to respond.
    Hi Megan,
    I read one your post about your husband and about him and dirtbikes. Sounds like we have a lot in common including ALS. I was diagnosed last March. I raced Dirt bikes for 15 years, motocross for five and enduro's for 10. KTM's and Huskie's. I am also hardheaded like your husband. I started falling and kept thinking I just need to be more careful but I kept falling of course unexpectedly. Labor Day I was walking out the front door to go fishing. I had a soft ice chest and some clothes in one hand and my golf putter/cane in the other hand. I tripped and hit my head on the concrete and then end up spending a week in the hospital after fusion surgery on my C1 and C2. Doctors say I could've been killed or paralyzed. I broke a lot of things racing dirtbike but breaking your neck really hurts. It definitely set me back and probably increase the progression.
    Hi Megan, I'm too vain to post this, but I lost weight and hair as well. I now take pre-natal vitamins (the doctor said I was low in iron, and good iron levels are essential to hair growth) and he also recommended Minoxidil drops for my scalp. Unfortunately the minoxidil is greasy, but it works. I put it on my scalp and rub it in as soon as I'm home, then wash out the next morning. I use the Costco/Kirkfield brand. I started all of this last summer, and someone just commented on what gorgeous hair I have. I still do the Minoxidil maybe two nights a week. Good luck, we have enough problems, we don't need bad hair too. Travelbugg
    Hi Megan,

I see that you are from Springfield, IL originally. I grew up in Pana, a small town just down the road from there. So sorry that you are in this situation, but hope you find it helpful to be here.

Kay
    Hi Megan,
    Happy New Year!! This year I hope for cure and a very very slow progression for all of our loved ones. It hard to watch it progress. I agree it's nice to find people from our area to talk with. I just need to figure out how the site works. I hope you guys got to enjoy your snow!
    Hi Megan,
    Welcome to the forum but so sorry for your need to be here. My dad who turned 80 in September has limb onset ALS. He was diagnosed 2 years ago in May. He always lived in the same town as me in central Illinois. But, do to not being able to find proper care for him in our small town he moved to Dallas near my brother and sister. He is living in a assistant living facility near their homes. I miss my dad terribly. I am 48 and until this disease took over saw my dad everyday of my life. It really sucks. How old are your children? Kim
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back