B
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Media Albums About

• Hi Ruby,
    I just wanted to drop by to wish you Merry Christmas. I am so behind this year getting things ready. Yikes! I got my daughter pretty much done last weekend but still have to get a few things for the boys. All they like though really is video games. lol Take care, Kim
    Hi Ruby,
    How are you? I'm doing ok. Our youngest son just turned 10 on the 14th. They grow up so fast. I live in a small town called Effingham, Illinois we had a few tornadoes touched down in a couple of towns yesterday about 12 miles from us. Luckily, nobody was seriously injured that I heard off. Thankfully, it didn't touch down here. Several years ago in January there was a storm and lightening struck our house and took the entire chimney off our house. Take care, Kim
    Me too ruby! Yesterday my helper was helping me swap seasonal clothing. She picked up a couple of old tattered t shirts and said " donate?" Heck no!! Those are my prized marathon shirts... Well, she didn't know about marathons - so I had a great time down memory lane... Re-visiting my running days. Yes!! I miss it too! The running yes, but the camaraderie of my running mates - that smarts! Hope you are ok!
    Oh dear lord, I am so very sorry and I'm sending you my most sincere sympathies. I cannot imagine how you are coping, Ruby. I just can't imagine. I will remember in you my prayers. If you need anything at all, we are here for you. Please get some breathing assistance as I don't think the stress is helping you any.
    Ruby, Kim mentioned you asked her about bi-pap? You can google it for more details, but ostensibly it's similar to a CPap which many use fir sleep apnea. There's a machine connected to a tube & face mask and which helps one breathe correctly. It's completely non invasive and provides positive air flow. We PALS tend to need the bipap because our diaphragm muscles weaken. It helps a lot and usually early on, we'd just use it at night or when napping. Many report having more energy. Further on down the road, 24/7 use is not unusual. Hope this is helpful. The ALS society usually have it in their loan cupboard.
    Hi Ruby,
    My dad's progression seems to be at a standstill lately. He will turn 79 on Wednesday. Dad can still talk well but occasionally does get a little hoarse. He is still able to eat but has to eat slowly and not get distracted. He sometime will gag a little so he doesn't like eating around alot of people. He can walk short distances with his walker and someone standing right behind him using a gait belt. Otherwise, he can't do anything else for himself. He spends most of the day in his lift recliner and also has a PWC but doesn't use it as much. Dad used a bi-pap last fall just in the evenings. But, for some odd reason is breathing is ok now and he doesn't need it. He does have one just in case. Take care and drop a line anytime. Kim
    Hi! I thought I'd share a little bit about myself. I turned 47 in June. I joined this forum after my dad was diagnosed with ALS IN May of '12. I work as a switchboard operator at our local hospital and this year will be my 25th year. I have three kids. Our twins (boy/girl) are sophomores and then our youngest son is in 4th grade. My husband and I are currently separated. We get along really well though. It's a very long complicated story so I'll tell you more some other time. Tell me more about yourself when you have time. Go to my profile to post otherwise you are writing on your own profile wall. Take care, Kim
    Ruby, welcome. Another marathon runner? Me too! Big adjustment isn't it? I'm Trying to make the very best of it too.
    Its hard and I have trouble also I use to run marithons now I cant walk or talk well. just hang in there and give yourself time, I have just found out this dredful news also. I am 63 this has helped knowing I have lived most of my life very healthy. Now I look at things different and see the beauty in all the trees, lakes,moon sun. Ruby
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back