H
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• NO, that's not possible. Yes, I was scared at one time . . . but unlike you . . . I had muscle weakness and two dirty EMG's. I then listened to my neuro and was done with it. This is the last time I answer your questions. You've worn-out your welcome. I'm done.
    You do not have ALS. That has been my opinion . . . is my opinion . . . and will always be my opinion given your story.
    NO, it's not bulbar-onset. That person with the 5 clean EMG's had upper motor neuron signs . . . YOU DON'T. That's it!
    Large motor units is a sign of a healed nerve that was damaged at some point in your life. It could have happened 6 months ago or 6 years ago or whenever. If that is all that was found, your EMG is normal. Now are you going to give this ALS nonsense a rest? Do yourself a favor and get some help for anxiety and get yourself in a better place for your sake and the sake of your family.
    If you truely have ALS with bulbar onset, the average lifespan is less than 1 year. So the onset of other signs on EMG would be quick. But, frankly, there would be other EMG changes in other muscle groups. People would notice the drooling, difficulty with chewing and swallowing and would have changed their diet to soft so they could chew. There would be episodes of choking-like occurances due to poor swallowing etc. The neurologist usually would have a feel for ALS upon the clincal examination.
    It would very, very unlikely that you would have only selective bulbar signs, without EMG findings and have ALS. In fact, you would probably be the first.

I hope I answered your question.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
    tewest99
    Saint

Here is something I found on aboutbfs

1. How long after bublar onset als would emg show up. In limbs, throat area's etc. What would be the longest time in interval months that you would think that we all could feel safe in assuming that the chances are that our twitching is not als. If there a time frame in which nuero's go by? For instance , a year, six months etc. I know cases are different in all people however, I would like an opinion on what you all believe would be the longest period of time that bublar onset could be taking place before denervations presents itself in other limbs? Thanks for you anticipated answer and I am sorry if I sound full of anxiety, but I am stressed and am doeing the best I can to deal with this fear.
    Yes, the fasciculations never go away once they start, until the muscle is totally atrophied and all you see is skin and bone. For example, my husband's ALS started in the bulbar area and the left hand simultaneously (at least that is what we noticed). Weakness in his left hand made him unable to keep hold of a stylus to use his palm pilot. He did not have fasciculations at that time. They came later.
    It would have shown up on the EMG if your ALS had progressed to the point of atrophy. And if it was ALS caused atrophy you would be unable to open a bottle of water. Or unable to write or hold a pencil. The hand wouldn't just be weak, It would be dead and paralyzed.
    YES exactly. ALS is a nerve PATHWAY disease so if you have twitching and weakness BECAUSE of ALS in something like your little toe, and you get an EMG ANYWHERE BETWEEN that toe and your brain, it WILL show-up on the EMG because it is looking at the PATHWAYS BETWEEN that toe and your brain.
    My husbands ALS twitches were more visable when he was resting. When he moved his arm they would stop. You do have symptoms, but they just are NOT ALS symptoms. You will NOT have twitches before atrophy or weakness. Twitches start when the muscles are already almost dead, and they are trying to fix the muscle. An EMG will pick up the almost dead muscles LONG before you get twitches.
    ANY EMG at ANY TIME would CLEARLY show the disease, no matter how far along, or how early you THINK you are. There is no "incubation time" or "window frame" once ALS twitches have started. If it's ALS and you are twitching, the disease is ALREADY well into running it's course, and of course, will ALWAYS show up on an EMG, no matter where it is performed on your body.
    NO NO and NO. ALS is a nerve PATHWAY disease so if you have twitching and weakness BECAUSE of ALS in something like your little toe, and you get an EMG ANYWHERE BETWEEN that toe and your brain, it WILL show-up on the EMG because it is looking at the PATHWAYS BETWEEN that toe and your brain. ALS is also a body wide disease BEFORE it spreads to NOTICABLE symptoms. It is there long before 99% of the sufferer's even notice it, (contrary to what a lot of rookies will tell you). The twitching in ALS means it has already been there a while, has DONE damage and now the muscles are reacting by quivering. It is the whole enchilada that has to be looked at with CLINICAL weakness and a bad EMG. Without ALL of those symptoms (and then some), you have ALS about as much as someone with a common headache has a brain tumor
    No, but having a clean EMG should be comforting. By the time weakness,atrophy, and fasticulations are noticed, they would show up in an EMG.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back