Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
KY
City
Shelbyville
Hi, I have been scared that I have als for months now. My main reason being that I twitch. I know thats not a defining symptom. Today I almost dropped my sweater while putting it on and some food earlier in the day. However, Whenever I go to test my strength in my hands I can still squeeze and pick things up and do normal tasks when I focus on them. I have worried about other small things like the this over the past few months and it seems like i've worried about every limb and body part but today really scared me. Does this sound like ALS? Can ALS start liked this?
Some medical back ground I am 24 and have hypertension and severe anxiety. I am sorry if this post breaks any guidelines but im really really scared and this fear has been dominating my life for months.

No worries on our side, from either the ALS side or posting here. When you're worried, though, it's much more likely that you'll drop things so you can see why that can easily become a cycle both ways. And if you're using medication for your high blood pressure, sometimes it can take a while to find the drug/dosage that helps you feel your best.

A fear of ALS for months sounds pretty scary and can affect your physical health. I would suggest that you seek out someone you can talk to about this, either someone you know or a counselor who can help you put all this into perspective.

Best,
Laurie

So this doesnt sound like ALS? I can still type, pick up my phone, cook and clean etc etc. I'm more afraid that its starting to slowly lose function every now and then. Instead of just *boom* my hand doesnt work.

It is definitely time to see a doctor, have a full examination and discuss your symptoms within the exam, and then discuss your fears. Don't go to a doctor and ask if they think you have ALS, but discuss your symptoms.
I'm sure you can get to the bottom of this with a doctor.

Last month at the doctor, he blamed it on possible carpal tunnel and said my hands look fine. I feel as if he does this stuff because of my anxiety. Again, I can still do normal tasks and I had not even noticed dropping stuff up until today. It seems to be a rare occurence. I can still use my hands to their full extent. Sorry, the first response made it same like I was fine and then your response alarmed me. I was mostly looking for an answer to can ALS just be the occasional drop and everything else be normal.

Last edited:
Here's a comprehensive run-down of what is regularly discussed, asked and posted here: Read Before Posting

We do ask that people visit with their doctors first if they have any concerns about things. It is better to explain to someone in person what is going on so you don't have to wonder if what you are experiencing means something to be seriously concerned about. Dropping things occasionally should not bring you to a forum that deals with a terminal disease. This should be something you must bear in mind when you are dealing with a disease that results in complete loss of function.

As an admitted sufferer of health anxiety, this place isn't for you and the longer you remain here researching and engaging, the more your anxiety will increase. That's how it works, which I am sure you recognize. Please do not continue to scratch that reassurance itch by asking people here about things- visit with your doctor and stay away from your triggers.

Please take care

My post should not have alarmed you.
What you report is not how we see ALS start.
You did not really accept the first response, but started questioning.
You really should work with a doctor, we can't see you and examine you and aren't even doctors.
What more can we say - ALS doesn't start this way, see a doctor, get examined but don't ask if you have ALS.
All the very best.

The answer is no, ALS starts most often with difficulties in moving at all, not the occasional drops that we all have. I dropped a plastic vial tonight that probably weighs less than a paper clip.

Understanding that you have seen a doctor who did not see clinical weakness, and you have not seen weakness, either, and knowing that weakness is the hallmark of ALS, we are not concerned. But if you are, still, get your questions answered there with a doctor who knows you. If you do not trust that doctor, find another one. If you need more or better counseling, get it. Do not let needless anxiety ruin your life.

Thank you all very much. I didnt wish to offend anyone or make it seem like I wasnt listening. I didnt want to come into this forum and make it seem like im not listening like so many do. After a year of many hard losses, Ive struggled recently with health anxiety and hypochondria and it can convince me of things that are minor to the point of severe panic; or create whole new problems very quickly. I will be taking your reccomendations and staying away from this forum. You all have really helped put my mind at ease. Thank you again.

Hi,
I just have a few questions about hyperreflexia. Sometimes I feel very sensitive in all of my joints all over my body. Does ALS cause hyperreflexia all over? It seems like I can jump or twitch more easier because of them. Ex: Occasionally when I click my mouse I'll double click without meaning too. I should also add I seem to be able to control this based on exertion. Again, I do suffer from Health anxiety and OCD but this is just one of my last concerns for symptoms. I should also not it doenst feel like an all the time thing.
Thanks.

Please stay on one thread. This is in the posting rules that are part of the read before posting thread.

first hyperreflexia is not something you feel. It is something the doctor finds in their exam. And don’t google how to do it you can’t check your own and your friend can’t learn to do it properly online

second as you said ALS doesn’t suddenly affect you all over.

thirdly hyperreflexia is a normal variant and extremely common in the anxious particularly

djohnson6097, a few sentences you have posted above…

“I will be taking your recommendations and staying away from this forum.
You all have really helped put my mind at ease. Thank you again.”

Yesterday, then coming right back today with…

“I just have a few questions about hyperreflexia.”

But the key sentence…

“Again, I do suffer from Health Anxiety and OCD.”

That says it all.

(You didn’t want to offend anyone but posting anymore will be
getting close…)

I hope you can move past this and move on with your life.

I'm truly am sorry. The answers I recieved saturday was the only real form of relief I felt In a good while. I understand that, my anxiety and OCD is mine to manage and is no one elses job or responsibility.

You need to stop - seeking this reassurance from the terminally ill is not acceptable. See a doctor for help, you can be helped and I sincerely hope you get past this quickly now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back