00/0000
Country
US
State
IN
City
Indianapolis
Hello my name is Joseph Gaines,

My mother was diagnosed with ALS in 2008 and passed away in 2009. I was her primary care taker during the process. There is no known members of our family on her side both mother and father who have had this disease. Her mother did pass way from dementia in her late 70's so there could be a link. I myself am very aware of my body.

Last week my left thumb started twitching. I may have some weakness in my left arm even though I am still able to exercise. I am going to my doctor this Friday to let them know what's going on. PSA ( I also played high school football and had nerve damage in my left shoulder. ) I don't know if I somehow aggregated it. I just wanted to post in here to see what the experts thought. I really wish the FDA would allow PALS to access newly discovered treatments. There is no other option for PALS. Thank you all for your time. You are all brave and powerful souls.

Sincerely,
Joey Gaines

Hi
please read this Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms

twitching as you can see is non specific. Without other symptoms you shouldn’t worry about it

may have some weakness? IF you have clinical ( doctor confirmed )weakness there would still be a host of FAR more likely causes than ALS. Aggravating an old injury would certainly be a possibility.

most ALS is not familial. Most people with familial ALS know it. I remain horrified that my neurologist looked at my family history ( grandfather, 4 of his 5 children including my mother, and my sister) and NODDED because it is pretty usual for FALS. is it POSSIBLE for there to be an undetected genetic problem in your family? Sure, but it isn’t likely.

Going to the doctor is the correct thing. Best of luck

Thank you so much for this post. It means the world to me.

Sincerely,
Joseph Gaines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back