PALS ROLL CALL NEW THREAD (PALS ONLY) [Wednesday or whenever]

Cathy so sorry for the loss of your friend. I was just getting ready to get on the forum myself to vent. I am so angry right now that I'm seeing red. Yesterday my husband and I lost our close friend to Covid. I'm so angry because his death was so unnecessary. He went into the hospital with chest pain not Covid. How does it happen? The hospital determined he needed open heart surgery so they transferred him to the hospital in the next town that specializes in it. That hospital decided he wasn't a candidate for surgery because of other underlying conditions so they sent him back to the first hospital where they gave him a stent. From there he needed to go to rehab so he was moved again. In rehab he started to have respiratory issues so they transferred him to another hospital where he was tested and found to be Covid positive. Mind you he was house bound prior and had visiting nurses so he was tested continuously always negative. So, somewhere between the 2 hospitals and rehab center he contracted Covid. So consequently my friend died alone and scared. The only good thing out of this was one outstanding nurse that would hold the phone to his ear so we could tell him we were there. I'm so over this Covid crap and the imbisils that refuse to wear masks! Sorry for the long rant I just had to get it off my chest.

I'm so sorry, Cathy.

I had a close friend from my support group pass, too. She came to my place and I visited her. We talked about buying a home together because we were both alone.

It's so hard. Prayers of comfort for you.

Oh Lisa, what a tragic story.

My cousin was in ICU for 10 days, a week on a vent. He was only 17. Who knows what complications are in his future. My nephew tested positive TWICE. Yes, he got it twice.....three months apart. He had antibodies but got it again. The second time was a short illness.

I just don't understand the lack of empathy, the lack of common sense, the lack of respect for other human beings. All because masks violate their RIGHTS. So, they are OK with killing others. I'm so careful to wear a mask any time I leave the condo or answer the door. I won't let anyone in without a mask. I haven't even seen my brother since late February and he's going downhill fast. He probably won't even remember me.

I'm just so ticked off.

Please accept my deepest condolences Lisa and Cathy.
I remembered it was Wednesday.
I had my feeding tube placement surgery last week. It was fine. I met with both the surgeon and the anesthetist. I negotiated the terms of my surgery and they accepted.
I meditate daily, so I was able to have a few minutes In the OR to control my breathing, and center myself.
I hardly felt the tube being threaded through my nasal passageway to my stomach. They were able to thread it through with my nose pillows in place. The tube itself is thinner than a piece of angel-hair spaghetti. I didn't feel the numbing shots either. The surgeon turned the screen so I could view the procedure, per my request. All I felt was pressure. I skipped recovery, because I hadn't had anesthesia. They kept me overnight for observation. I did take Tylenol, for the 8- hour ride home. There has been minimal drainage around the sutures , but zero pain. If anyone is frightened at the prospect of complications stemming from an anesthesia, as I was. This was a 20 minute procedure, and was very tolerable under localized numbing shots. I haven't had any adverse repercussions.

DeeDee, Thank you for a positive message about your tube placement. I'm sure being in a meditative state helped a lot. I know I can get through pain if I meditate. It sounds like you took control and the outcome was good.

Keep us posted on how it is working for you.

Hot and humid here in Iowa. A few days ago we experienced a so-called derecho, hurricane strength winds topping 100mph that wreaked widespread havoc on eastern Iowa and beyond, with massive tree damage and downed power lines. Many without power still after 3 days. We had a big willow fall across our driveway, essentially marooning us in our house (thankfully we didn't lose power), until a neighbor came with his tractor and chain saw and cleared it. Nice to have good neighbors who are farmers. Others had trees fall on houses and cars.

Now enjoying a visit from my NYC daughter and grandson (they arrived the day after the derecho.

Ed

We are doing as well as we can. My wife fell (while trying to put on a shoe) and broke her hand last Friday. It is a fairly minor break, but her hand is wrapped up in a way that keeps her from being able to use any of her fingers or her thumb when her splint is in place.

A little over a week ago a large wildland fire started just north of Grand Junction. The fire is about 150 miles west of us. Even with that distance, the prevailing westerly winds have blown enough smoke into Vail to really impact my breathing. That fire is now over 30,000 acres and is 7% contained.

On Sunday afternoon, another fire started about 50 miles west of us in Glenwood Canyon. That fire is now over 3,300 acres, and is 0% contained, and has put up large quantities of smoke. We have been much more impacted by the smoke from that fire and it has caused further issues with my breathing.

The major road west (I70) is closed due to the fire in Glenwood Canyon. To escape the smoke, we would need to head west past the two fires. Due to the road closure, we would have to drive an additional 100 miles out of our way, or a total of about 300 miles to escape the smoke. With COVID 19 floating around, it does not make sense to relocate at the moment, but we are keeping eye on things.

Steve

DeeDee, Ed, and Steve,
My prayers are with you and your family during these challenging times. ❤

Hello, everyone!

I’m very glad you had a nice visit Nikki! Things like that make a world of difference. Anyway this is Christine Kranz and I am still here! :) My balance is worse and I fall more, but I’m still grateful for SO many things.
I have days where I annoy the heck out of myself, I annoy the heck out of other people (even though they say it) and I’m sure I annoy the heck out of my cat. It’s not on purpose, I think it’s more of a ‘what I can do now versus what are used to be able to’. When I look out the window and see people jogging, biking or see a TV athletic show with rock climbing and swimming...... forget it. I’m sure everybody else knows as well.

But after a short pitty party, anger fest - I go back to cooking/baking for people. I modified my kitchen somewhat and utensils and it worked out GREAT!)!!
It’s fun! (I can’t eat because of a J- tube, but I still have fun creating with it.)
OH!! FYI - I also started reading books on early American history/presidents/wars and how our country struggled to be able to become independent. I’M HOOKED!!! They are also available for download. You may want to give it a try.

Keep it being warriors, my second family!
– Christine ❤️

Steve,
You've had a rough year. Please know that you are in my prayers.

Hi all - I'm doing OK here in sunny SoCal. Kids are cranky because school starts next week (remotely). My progression continues, but at a very slow pace which I'm thankful for. I messed up my shoulder last weekend using my right arm too much, and now I get jolts of pain when I move it into a certain position. Feels like a rotator cuff issue. My neurologist says it's a shoulder injury, not ALS progression per se, although probably related in the sense that I'm more prone to such an injury due to arm/shoulder muscle atrophy. OK.

I hope they put those fires out quickly, Steve. And Christine, I love those topics - do you have a specific book or documentary you recommend?

Let me echo what Kim said, Steve. My fingers are crossed that you will be able to take an RV trip again soon and escape for a bit. Our trip last week to the NC mountains was great, but we are home now dealing with the dog days of summer here in north Florida.

Distraction and some level of denial help, but the words of my friend Dave Warnock (Dying out Loud), a wonderful motivational speaker for the non-religious that was diagnosed about four months before me, ring true for me as well: “The days bleed together, and I am tired. Strength bleeds from my arms, and I am tired. And I’m tired of being tired. The moments are there to be found, I am just having to look harder for them.“

Here are to the moments, my friends. Best, Kevin

It has been a couple of weeks since I last posted.

The last week has been bittersweet for me as I mourn the loss of Karen and reminisce about all the wonderful contributions she made. It is always hard to lose a friend.

The fires around us have grown substantially, as has the amount of smoke. The largest fire, which is about 150 miles to the west is now over 130,000 acres. The fire 50 miles to our west is now over 30,000 acres. Two new, large fires have started to the north east of us. Since the prevailing winds are typically from the west, we don't see much smoke from those two. There have been about a half dozen smaller fires started in the last two weeks, but they have been contained fairly quickly.

Most days the smoke has been dense enough here that I can't go out for a wheelchair ride. I have only been on 2 rides in the last 3 weeks. Due to the smoke and COVID 19, I have pretty much been confined to our house. Even in the house, the effects of the smoke have been quite noticeable, causing me to generally feel pretty run down.

I am still doing well and have many projects to keep me busy. Most of those involve dealing with insurance companies on various issues. For example, after 9 months of effort, I was finally able to place an order for the new Permobil F5 wheelchair to replace the one that was so badly damaged when it was stolen (and subsequently recovered) over Thanksgiving last year. I am scheduled to get the new wheelchair next Monday and am pretty excited about it. What a saga that has been!

Steve

Steve, I am so glad you checked in to update us all on the fires. I, along with others here, have been concerned for your well-being with the potentially imminent danger. Blessings to your, your wife, and community.

To anyone affected by the approaching Hurricaane Laura, please be safe. Prayers to all and your loved ones.

So glad to hear from you, Steve, and that you are doing well in spite of the fires and the insurance tussles. I hope to hear from many others that haven’t posted in some time, though I know it may be increasingly challenging to do so.

We dodged Hurricane Laura here in Florida, and I hope that those in its path have taken this seriously and evacuated or otherwise found a place of safety. I’m afraid that September will be bad this year, on top of everything else that is going on. Doesn’t it seem fitting that a small but still dangerous asteroid might hit (or barely miss us) on Election Day?

My wife starts back teaching next week, which adds another layer of worry and anxiety to my already overflowing bucket. We practiced with her face shield last night that was given to all teachers, but it is cumbersome to say the least. My bet is that, like in many places, the school will be open a couple of weeks and then be shut down when infections occur.

Last bit of news. My wonderful 26 year old daughter started her graduate program in Public Health this week, and we are very proud of her. She is a warm, caring person, and grasps the impact her generation can have on the direction of the country over the coming years. I may or may not be here to see it all through, but I can rest easy knowing there are so many young people her age that care about more than themselves. Best, Kevin

Back