US
State
GA
City
Roswell
Foot drop, toe curl left foot

Need info on AFOs, shoes, socks, less hassle = better

walking with rollator, need safety and comfort + light weight

Ottobock walk on reaction. Lots of support. Semi off the shelf. Needs to be prescribed but your orthotist can trim the foot plate to size. There is a similar one Allard something but I was told less durable. I am still on my first one though the padding part has needed replacing which is easy. You will need bigger shoes.

my current orthotist doesn’t like this but said well as long as it is working. I don’t know why. It is comfortable and addresses foot drop, weak ankle and even helps a touch with my weak quads I am anticipating an argument when I need something for my other leg

Get a prescription for an AFO. It can come from a doctor or an OT ( canadian) and go see an orthotist. I worked for 30 in Prosthetics/Orthotics. Please don't be that person who shows up and knows what they want. A Certified Orthotist will know what you need. It could be the Otto Bock ground reaction brace or something completely different. But it will be what you need, not something somebody told you about on the internet. The only issue with carbon fibre braces is you really cant't adjust them any more than trimming the foot plate.

I worked on my feet as a machinist for almost 2 years and had drop foot. I wore shop boots/hiking boots snugly laced for support. Also bought an off the shelf afo that worked great and fit in my boot. Was a little uncomfortable at first, but dipping the plastic afo into very hot water and quickly putting it on (with socks) and into my shoes and putting weight on it, deformed it just right for that custom and comfortable fit.
Amazon $60. Search "Ossur AFO Leaf Spring "

Attachments

• 41wu63n8ZvL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    41wu63n8ZvL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 176
I wore Magnum brand boots in the 8" height. They make ones with a zipper on the side so you can get them on/off without messing with the laces

Have the Physical Therapist at your clinic set up an appointment with you, him/her, and a rep from a supplier. They will bring different models, you can try each one and see which is best for you. Getting a good AFO has big quality of life impact. I am still able to take long (limpy) walks and even golf only because of the stability from the AFO. When I don't have it on my walk is much slower and requires support. Good luck!

Kenm I am walking with a rollator due to balance issues . I just started dragging my left foot with toes turning out, pronation i think. I am in my dx 5th year, actually 7th year of fighting

Jimi's post is spot on... Swedish AFOs from Amazon run under $25.00 each now. I have two, left and right and they work very well. Been using them for over a year.

Suggest using with a running shoe (for lightness) that has a removable insole that these can slid under.

One other small piece of advice -- if you are active and use the AFO for light exercise, be sure to follow directions for regular washing of the AFO material or it will start to smell!

with covid and the VA, no appts. my left foot drop and turns out . i am weaker and cannot endure a heavy shoe.
Ottobock walk on reaction ?

ask for an orthotist or pt consult by video. The reaction needs a prescription and needs a shoe with a removable insole. The reaction itself is not heavy but if you can’t endure a shoe it won’t work. If you can’t get a video visit( which you should get) then call

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back