Diagnosis
06/2019
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tallahassee
I’m embarrassed to say that I, like several others here, live in Florida. I dearly love this state, having lived here for 45 years, but the delays in COVID distancing measures will cost tens of thousands of lives (maybe mine as well as my wife’s, if this spreads exponentially like it will do).

Despite the way too late “Safer at Home” “order” our governor recently enacted, as far as I can tell pretty much everything is considered an “essential” business, including...wait for it...gun stores! Yes indeedy, lets drop by Walmart for a rotisserie chicken to take to the open beaches, and on the way home stop by the local gun and ammo store to pick up a .357 magnum. Yippee! Oh, and if it’s Sunday, let’s make sure to pack the local churches elbow to elbow since thats allowed as well.

Meanwhile, in Pennsylvania, people out for scenic rides in their car WITHOUT GETTING OUT are given $200 tickets for not staying home. Which state do you think will fare better in the end?

Breathe, Kevin, breathe....

Sorry. Believe it or not gun stores were on the essential list HERE ( Massachusetts)when they extended our stay at home. It was quickly removed once it was remarked upon. It has been too little too late in many places unfortunately.

I may never go anywhere again. I am planning to extend the stay at home for at least a month after it is lifted because I expect a rebound wave

Fellow Floridian here and I'm terribly ashamed by our Governor's inaction. It wasn't until his feckless, commander-in-thief gave him the okay, did he even suggest shelter in place. Too little, too late.

Nikki, although gun stores were also open in many States, we have a population in Florida that has no business owning guns, much less stocking up on assault weapons and buying out stores of ammo faster than toilet paper. In the NE, hunting is more popular. I have relatives who hunt during hunting season. Florida is out of control when it comes to guns and it appears that the majority of people here are looking to the President for marching orders. I've seen bumper stickers that are racist and homophobic.

Many people think Florida isn't the deep South because we have so many retirees from up North and other areas but we also have a rural population that proudly flies the confederate flag and are conspiracy theorists.

I'm here for the weather.

Very accurate portrayal of the dichotomy that is Florida’s demographics, Kim. Here in Tallahassee, I’ll be at a stop light next to an uber-progressive college kid in a Subaru plastered with COEXIST and peace decals, flanked by a camouflaged 1985 Ford pickup with a freshly killed wild hog in the bed lying underneath the aforementioned confederate flag.

I’m with you, Nikki. Nori and I may not go out for months. The second wave will come, no doubt.

So I’ll leave you with something that is sort of funny if it weren’t so scary for my family. Our wonderful daughter Allanah is a kinesiologist by education, and works with kids and elderly on fitness training and movement therapy.

Her circle of friends are all in health care, to the point that it is like that scene from My Cousin Vinnie where Marisa Tomei is on the stand being questioned about her expertise with auto repair. You know the scene...”my dad’s a mechanic, his brothers are mechanics, my three brothers are mechanics, etc.” Allanah’s boyfriend is an EMT, his brother is an EMT, her roommate is an EMT, her roommates partner is an EMT, and her two best friends are RN’s. I’m scared for all of them and my wife. Me? Not so much; I have advanced directives calling for no intubation, so if I get a bad case, in the words of John Prine, “you can kiss my ass goodbye.” K

I think the mandatory stay at home order that was instituted early here in PA definitely has cut down on the spread of COVID 19 here and that our president should have mandated this for every state weeks ago. Essential businesses that are allowed to open are truly essential businesses here. Many stores have very early shopping hours for seniors and they limit the number of people that can enter the store at one time so you can maintain distancing from other people. The people in my area seem to be following the stay at home order.

Sharon

Kevin, Nikki, and Kim, I share your sentiments about gun stores being considered “essential” businesses. Are people thinking they can kill a virus with a gun, or are they guarding their stockpile of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and N-95 masks? I just read that there has been a significant increase in domestic violence in the last few weeks. So sad.

Well, our beach just got reopened to people on bicycles and people walking. That means people from all over will be parking in vacant parking lots of closed small businesses, crossing the road and going to the beach.

A child was shot here yesterday. Accident. Loaded gun in living room.

I’m afraid societal breakdown is not far away. I really hope I’m wrong, but some areas will experience it to varying degrees.

I am just so very sorry to read all this - what is happening is so frightening on so many levels.
In Australia we are likely to fare really well - I'm so proud of our health system, and am working directly with them.
However, it is going to be a nightmare beyond anything thinkable here too, even if it may not be on the level you face, and certainly not what the third world countries are facing.

Staying home brings many mental health issues with it, especially long term (here they are talking we will be in lock down til at least October) and even with our great response here by gov and health, it won't take much for it to be undone. We are having shocking problems getting our youth to comply. Loud drunken parties on weekends are increasing threefold and our highest infection rates are in the 20 - 30 age bracket and they just simply don't care.

So we all feel helpless really, even if I'm working many hours every day writing safety protocols, policies and procedures for our koala rescue organisation. It is only going to take one person ignoring sensible practices ...

Please stay as safe as you can, make sure your health directives, and those of your CALS are up to date, and know you are loved here.

Today, the President rambled on about professional sports teams and how important it was to get them up and running. He used the televised briefing as a free campaign ad. He is focused on the economy above human life. He wants to give professional sports teams economic relief!!!!!!

No mention of the many sole proprietorships that are one person businesses such as massage therapists, etc.

The lady who does my massages also does facials. She is the only person who can relieve my neck and leg pain. She stopped taking appointments on March 1 and has no idea when she will be back in business. Meanwhile, she is paying rent for a very nice place that is empty.

The only thing I can think to do is send her money for a gift certificate that can be used at a later date.

Kim, don't forget.... everybody in your State (my former State) can go to their
mega - churches Sunday. I hope they will be "saved" again,

PS. I lived on Indian Rocks Beach.... it's another story of my escapades there
that got me the nick name "Clearwater Al". High Times and High Tides. :)

Last edited:
That’s cool that you lived in Indian Rocks Beach, Al. I was a musician living in Sarasota from 1979-1987, and for a while one of my day jobs was working as a delivery person/inventory guy for “Swimsuit Outlet,” which had about 10 stores from Sarasota up to Clearwater. My favorite store was at Indian Rocks, because the ladies running the store were so, um, friendly to me.

Those were great years to be living down there, and those little beach towns were so wonderful back then. High times and high tides, indeed. I would always stop for lunch at an open air BBQ place on the east side of Gulf Blvd. that I think was at Indian Rocks Beach. Does that ring a bell? Kevin

Al,
No churches anywhere near me are open today but just the fact that our inept Governor allowed them an exemption makes me thing the ones open are businesses and should pay taxes.
I knew Rodney Howard Browne, the one who got arrested. He was from South Africa. Real scam artist.

The two things I take from this thread are: 1) I'm glad I live in deep blue California, where we have relatively smart public officials (but we also have our problems); and 2) Clearwater AL and Kevin have a treasure trove of stories that I would love to hear some day.

But seriously, people are really suffering in every state. I feel bad for the small business owners who have modest margins and are not going to make it, and others who need their regular paycheck to pay for life essentials. I agree with Kim that it's ridiculous how our Dear Leader keeps emphasizing the importance of big business relief. What really drives me crazy is that he keeps insisting we need to bail out the cruise companies because they create so many jobs. What????? Most of the people they hire are not Americans - they hire from poor countries on those ships and they don't comply with our labor laws. They incorporate in places like Panama and Liberia to avoid U.S. taxes, and their ships are registered in places like Bermuda. So why should our tax dollars save THEM? Insane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back