Diagnosis
06/2019
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tallahassee
To a lot of aspiring and professional singer/songwriters, John Prine stands among the giants of my generation. He is at this writing intubated and in critical condition because of COVID.

I hope against hope that he somehow pulls through. The human condition has very seldom been expressed so eloquently, humorously, and compassionately in modern music. A quick Prine story: I was 16, living outside Washington DC, and several of my high school musician friends had heard about the “next” Dylan playing at Constitution Hall. We were electric guitar players, but we had never been more mesmerized for two hours by a 26 year old, alone on the stage but for a stool (for his libation, not for sitting), his acoustic guitar, and a mike.

He played every song off his debut album, which he wrote at 23 years old and which is still considered one of the finest singer songwriter debuts in modern music: Angel From Montgomery, Hello in There, Illegal Smile, Sam Stone, Dear Abby, and on and on. Those songs have been covered by nearly every famous acoustic musician on the planet. I gave up the electric after that concert, and never looked back with my acoustic guitar.

I hope you survive, John, but either way you made your mark, brother. Kevin

I saw him perform live a few years ago. Very entertaining. Hope he recovers.

I have heard so many different covers of Angel of Montgomery and love that song - the last market stall I had, that was the opening song a musician performed and I was riveted. I do hope he recovers, he has contributed so much to music for so long.

The first time I heard this song it was sung by Bonnie.
Here they are together.

He is one of my all time favorites. I saw him about 15 years ago and he played for three hours straight.

They sang that duet in 2016. Steve said, “This is for the internet unless something terrible happens and we have to cheer up the world on the TV show.”

OMG

John died yesterday. RIP, Mr. Prine...you entertained and influenced many thousands of us, and your immortality is secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back