Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MO
City
Blue Springs
My mother has ALS, and she is having reoccurring UTIs. We have increased water, increased cleaning to ensure proper hygiene, and added in some cranberry juice. I’m wondering if any PALS have this problem as well. We can’t seem to get it under control and not sure why they keep coming back. Any suggestions or feedback are welcome!

If she is able to urinate whenever she needs to void, there should be no increased risk. The problem occurs if she is unable to completely empty her bladder or if she tries to hold it. There could also be issues related to hygiene. If she requires a catheter, that presents an additional risk.

The most important considerations are maintaining adequate hydration, her being able to void when she needs to, and hygiene. The perineal area should be wiped clean from front to back. If she uses incontinence briefs, then they should be changed fairly often.

How is her mobility and hand function?
Karen really hit the 2 things I would think of straight up - does she urinate often and feel she empties well? Or does she need help and maybe holds on too long, or has poor muscles and doesn't empty well?
Does she need help to get to the loo and clean herself after?

Must be so horrible for her, UTI's are painful and you feel so lousy.

How is her mobility and hand function?
Karen really hit the 2 things I would think of straight up - does she urinate often and feel she empties well? Or does she need help and maybe holds on too long, or has poor muscles and doesn't empty well?
Does she need help to get to the loo and clean herself after?

Must be so horrible for her, UTI's are painful and you feel so lousy.
Mobility is limited but she can still walk with lots of assistance. She has lost function in her left arm and her right arm is very limited. She requires help getting to the bathroom and cleaning afterwards. She goes ever two hours. It doesn’t seem like she’s holding it and she says she isn’t holding it, but I can’t be certain. We are waiting for a bidet to be installed hoping that can be an additional step in our hygiene efforts. I wish we could figure out what is causing them because I hate to see her feel horrible with it. Thank you for your response!

She has had urine cultures to confirm infections? Is it the same pathogen or different? If her symptoms have resolved for a time was a culture done to prove a cure? This wouldn’t be done at first but if it is relapsing it should be.

as noted above look carefully at how she is being cleaned. Perhaps she is being irritated by the type of wipes? That wouldn’t cause a bacterial infection but would certainly irritate

She has had urine cultures to confirm infections? Is it the same pathogen or different? If her symptoms have resolved for a time was a culture done to prove a cure? This wouldn’t be done at first but if it is relapsing it should be.

as noted above look carefully at how she is being cleaned. Perhaps she is being irritated by the type of wipes? That wouldn’t cause a bacterial infection but would certainly irritate
Yes, we have her urine cultures done each time. Her symptoms improve with antibiotic but the return shortly after finishing the antibiotic (a couples days to a week). It has been the same sometimes and other times it is a different pathogen. The last three times it has been the same. We have been very diligent about wiping safely and thoroughly but I agree, there must something going on during this process. Good idea about looking into the wipes we use. I want to make sure that we (my dad and I) aren’t doing something that is causing this. I want her to be as comfortable as she can be, and I hate that this keeps happening! Thank you so much for your suggestions!

The bidet should help. Perhaps she needs to see a urologist. Sometimes, inability to completely empty bladder can be corrected by stretching the urethra. I had this procedure done in my 40s. I didn't have a UTI but I had a feeling that I needed to go and not much came out. I'm thinking about having it done again because it feels like it's coming back. Anyway, if cultures are being done and UTIs are returning, seeing a urologist might get a solution.

Ask her if she has a hard time innitiating the flow. Trouble 'starting' to often comes with incomplete emptying and urinary reflux. UTIs are common with this. The minute I feel a UTI coming I take 2 capsules of a product called Harmony and UTI is averted. Harmony contains d-mannose and can be bought on amazon.

I think a urologist could be involved now too - as well as suggestions on the brand of wipe being used as a possible thing to try. so sorry

Hi, unfortunately or fortunately I'm really not sure sometimes anymore. I am bed panning it. Make apt with a urologist, look at the brand of wipes, the pads on her transfer chair all great things to do. I got sick and tired of people touching me in private areas of my person. So we have taken to cutting those ridiculous Medicare provided baby hughey diapers in half, they fit perfectly in to the bed pan absorbing everything , for a spill proof , carefree clean-up. With that said I took it a step further. A handy dandy dollar store spray bottle of warm water , vinegar, and feminine wash spritz till you are clean and lightly pat dry w/tp. No more chemicals, no heavy hand, and I stay healthy and clean.

Kristina is correct about Harmony. I have it too.

If your mom is post menopausal, it could also be hormonal. I’ve had trouble with UTI’s and have to use Premarin cream to combat them. The urologist said they’re more common in post menopausal women. There’s something about losing some of the zinc in the tissue surrounding the urethra and that allows bacteria to get back into the bladder. Just a thought if she continues to have troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back