Diagnosis
04/2017
Country
US
State
KS
City
Rossville
any suggestion whey protein powders or thoughts on protein powders in general?

It might seem backwards, but studies show a high carb, high fat diet is good for PALS and that PALS with a higher BMI live longer. I don't take a lot by mouth but what I do eat we try to do lots of healthy fats. Avocado is a go-to because it's a texture that works for me and is quick to prepare. Protein is great, but I would make sure fats and carbs are on your theoretical plate too.

And I know nothing about protein powders so maybe someone else will chime in.

I don't use protein powders but I do put a scoop of collagen peptides in my morning shake. It might not help ALS but it sure makes my hair and skin look good.

Like food, protein powders can have nasty, unhealthy additives and you usually get what you pay for. I get most of my protein from wild salmon and other oily fish and organic grass fed and finished beef.

thank you. do you recommend a certain collagen peptide? i wonder about a grass fed protein powder possibly. do you think fat or protein is more important?thanks again!

sometime protein powders can cause hard stool. use bcaa 2:1 too.

I use LiveWell and buy it on Amazon. It's derived from grass fed and finished beef. Lots of beef producers claim to have grass fed cattle but they finish them off with soy or corn (GMO) to fatten them up. A good grass fed and finished piece of beef will have a higher ratio of Omega 3 to all the other Omega oils than conventional beef. I rarely eat beef but, if I do, it's always grass fed and finished.

Same with collagen.

It should have no odor and no texture when you mix it into liquids. Collagen peptide power doesn't contain all the essential amino acids so you still need to take in complete protein. Recently, I've started taking my collagen separately with water in the morning or late afternoon. The kind I use has no taste.

Protein is good for building lean muscle. As PALS our issue isn't with the muscles, but is with the nerves that tell the muscle to contract. So you can do all you can to build up muscle, but the disease goes on to paralyse you. As stated the diet that seems to give the best prognosis is a high carb diet. A BMI of 30-36 is considered neuro protective. My advise is to pig out on oreos.
Vincent

My husband has a scoop of VegaOne protein powder, mixed with 1/2 cup of oats, a varierty of dark berries, a banana, a big scoop of peanut butter and blended with water every morning. As everyone else says, make sure you get chubby.

The above shake has around 600 calories, and his day of eating every three hours starts from there. He's puffy and very cuddly from all his eating.

I will say, mostly everything we eat is organic, whole grain and full of healthy fats, even his sweet treats.

Thanks to both of you and Vincent I am kind of a health nut so I dont know if Im brave enough to pig out on oreos hahaha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back