Diagnosis
04/2017
Country
US
State
KS
City
Rossville
does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with either? positive or negative? thank you.

Don't fast. Eat regularly, even more frequent small meals if needed to maintain your weight. ALS already deranges your metabolism. There is good evidence for real food above all (even if blended for a tube), protein and fat, and keeping your weight up.

Welcome.

Best,
Laurie

This is very true. Better don't fast unless you want to speed up the ALS progression.
My partner opted for no feeding tube and once he was unable to take in a healthy amount of calories because swallowing became too hard his generally fast progression became even faster. Even pre-ALS he always ate a really healthy diet. He lived for a total of 16 months after diagnosis.
Rather than fasting or going on a diet he was always encouraged to eat as many calories as he could. We did what we could.
I read here that ALS in itself uses up many calories.

thank you very much for your input. i appreciate it.

I've had experience with both. I felt wonderful on keto but started losing weight.

I do intermittent fasting and eat in an eight hour window. I consume the same number of calories as I did when I was eating at night. I also added sprouts and collagen to my morning shake. I only eat whole, mostly organic food. It helped my stomach and my sleeping. I've had acid reflux for years and not eating at night helped with that.

Since starting intermittent fasting I've not lost any weight. I make sure to eat plenty of good fat and high quality protein.

My doctor suggested doing keto for one week on and one week off to see if it makes a difference.

I think the most important thing is to eat good whole food and the same goes with feeding formulas.

thank you for sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back