Diagnosis
08/2017
Country
CA
State
BC
City
New Westminster
Hello to old friends and new. I stopped posting on the forum for a while and then stopped reading. Not sure why. Maybe fear or denial? I eventually found myself not able to do either without help from someone else. I now have an eyegaze computer.

I hope I can share my experiences with some of the newer people so they don't make the same mistakes as I have.

Denial.

Shortly after my diagnosis a friend from work told me about someone who has a very slow progression. I decided I had a very slow progression too, regardless of mounting evidence to the contrary. When I spoke to others with ALS I thought myself unlike them and that my story would be vastly different than theirs.

This dogged refusal to accept the truth made others believe I was handling things incredibly well. I suppose it worked until it didn't. Then things crashed around me and I felt frightened and embarrassed. Now I have come to grips with my remaining time. I hope I have a more healthy attitude. I should have hoped for the best and prepared for the worst.

Progression.

I spent too much time worrying about my progression (even though I was wrong about it. ) I should have thought more about those around me who love me and who I love. I should have pushed the limits of what I could do at the time to make the most quality time with my family. And I tried so hard to evaluate if all the drugs and supplements I tried were affecting my progression. The simple truth is unless they are making a radical difference it is impossible to know.

I also thought I wouldn't need things like an eyegaze computer or a sling/hoist until I was lying in bed unable to move. You will need an eyegaze as soon as can't use your hands or arms. And you will need a sling when you lose a certain amount of function in your legs. This may be obvious to others but I don't always have a lightning grasp of the obvious.

Cause.

When you are first diagnosed you search for a cause. Did I cause this? Am I still causing it? If I stop whatever it is can I cure myself? Sorry, but it is also impossible to know. It dawned on me that I was diagnosed at 55, the average age of diagnosis. It must be more than just exposure to a specific group of substances or people would get it any age, depending on when they were exposed. The best I heard (for something else) was genetics loads the gun, and environment pulls the trigger. ALS would appear to have a pretty diverse selection of triggers. If it was easy for one person to figure out science would definitely have an answer.

We all go through our own mental and physical struggles. My mental struggles may be unique to me. Regardless, I hope this can help others in some way.

Ted, good to hear from you. No need to feel guilty or dwell on the “shoulds”. We all muddle through this best we can. No one can accurately predict their exact course.

I too now have an eyegaze computer and a hoist even though I’m not yet completely dependent on them.

Unfortunately we know the general direction we are headed.

Glad to see you back but I’m sorry for your struggles. Best wishes to you and your family.

Amazing post Ted - you now have a lot of insight. I'm so glad to see you back. We are all in it together.

So glad to see you back Ted. I have missed you.

we all do the best we can with this. Denial is necessary sometimes

thank you for sharing your experience. It is very helpful for us to hear

So glad to see you back, Ted. You have been missed by all of us.

Ted, You've been missed. Thanks for the post.

Ted, so glad to see you again!

There is something about this group that makes us all "old friends".

Hi Ted,
I'm Nancy.... was just diagnosed last week at 55yo too. ( Thread-48 Hours into ALS Diagnosis, for complete story ..lol)
I so appreciate your returning!! The 'progression' speaks to me exactly as I'm rapidly progressing as well.
They're ordering all kinds of equipment for me already, meeting with social worker Weds to get stuff rolling with everything else.. And started OT/PT today. I wondered why & how for a moment.
It's all a bit overwhelming... For me and my kids.. It's a day by day right now.
I know it will get easier.
Everyone here has been so supportive and kind. It's truly a blessing to have all them...and glad you found your way back too!
Thank you,
Nancy

Ted, I have missed hearing from you. Thank you for checking in and letting us know how you are. We think of you often. Thanks for meeting for coffee earlier this year. Hugs

Ted, I have missed hearing from you. Thank you for checking in and letting us know how you are. We think of you often. Thanks for meeting for coffee earlier this year. Hugs
that was fun!

Hi my name is Elizabeth and I too am newly diagnosed. I am overwhelmed with this.

I am going back to my neurologist tomorrow and hopefully they can put me on a path. I am going soon to the ALS chapter in my area too.!

I am sure they will be very kind and helpful. Take all the help offered.
You will get help and support second to none on this site. A lot of smart cookies here and all are caring and empathetic people too. Sorry to hear you're here but welcome anyway.

Hi Ted,
I'm Nancy.... was just diagnosed last week at 55yo too. ( Thread-48 Hours into ALS Diagnosis, for complete story ..lol)
I so appreciate your returning!! The 'progression' speaks to me exactly as I'm rapidly progressing as well.
They're ordering all kinds of equipment for me already, meeting with social worker Weds to get stuff rolling with everything else.. And started OT/PT today. I wondered why & how for a moment.
It's all a bit overwhelming... For me and my kids.. It's a day by day right now.
I know it will get easier.
Everyone here has been so supportive and kind. It's truly a blessing to have all them...and glad you found your way back too!
Thank you,
Nancy
Welcome Nancy! I am glad to hear you have kids to help you. Mine have really stepped up and have become better people as a result.

Hello to old friends and new. I stopped posting on the forum for a while and then stopped reading. Not sure why. Maybe fear or denial? I eventually found myself not able to do either without help from someone else. I now have an eyegaze computer.

I hope I can share my experiences with some of the newer people so they don't make the same mistakes as I have.

Denial.

Shortly after my diagnosis a friend from work told me about someone who has a very slow progression. I decided I had a very slow progression too, regardless of mounting evidence to the contrary. When I spoke to others with ALS I thought myself unlike them and that my story would be vastly different than theirs.

This dogged refusal to accept the truth made others believe I was handling things incredibly well. I suppose it worked until it didn't. Then things crashed around me and I felt frightened and embarrassed. Now I have come to grips with my remaining time. I hope I have a more healthy attitude. I should have hoped for the best and prepared for the worst.

Progression.

I spent too much time worrying about my progression (even though I was wrong about it. ) I should have thought more about those around me who love me and who I love. I should have pushed the limits of what I could do at the time to make the most quality time with my family. And I tried so hard to evaluate if all the drugs and supplements I tried were affecting my progression. The simple truth is unless they are making a radical difference it is impossible to know.

I also thought I wouldn't need things like an eyegaze computer or a sling/hoist until I was lying in bed unable to move. You will need an eyegaze as soon as can't use your hands or arms. And you will need a sling when you lose a certain amount of function in your legs. This may be obvious to others but I don't always have a lightning grasp of the obvious.

Cause.

When you are first diagnosed you search for a cause. Did I cause this? Am I still causing it? If I stop whatever it is can I cure myself? Sorry, but it is also impossible to know. It dawned on me that I was diagnosed at 55, the average age of diagnosis. It must be more than just exposure to a specific group of substances or people would get it any age, depending on when they were exposed. The best I heard (for something else) was genetics loads the gun, and environment pulls the trigger. ALS would appear to have a pretty diverse selection of triggers. If it was easy for one person to figure out science would definitely have an answer.

We all go through our own mental and physical struggles. My mental struggles may be unique to me. Regardless, I hope this can help others in some way.
How do I begin to say thank you, for reaching into my heart and mind to express my exact journey so eloquently? Seeing it in black and white, hung out there unabashedly. I can't push it away, out of the spotlight, relegated to lurking in the shadow. My diagnosis was 3-years ago, and it has taken me this long to need. I'm eternally grateful for you today. I am thankful for finding this site. I wished I would have been braver sooner, maybe I wouldn't feel so vulnerable now

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me Dee Dee. It is so difficult to know which of these turbulent emotions are unique to me or shared by many others in this impossible position. Even today I am grappling with getting a feeding tube. If I wait I may miss the window as I am at 60% FVC lung function. But there is value in having a compelling reason to end my life, e.g. not being able to eat or choking. I would then be able to be secure knowing I would not back out at the last minute because I had no choice. But will I regret that inaction later on because I no longer have a choice? I imagine many people on the site wish to stay alive as long as possible and would consider anything else suicide.

Once again Dee Dee, thanks for your kind words. You are with kindred spirits here!

Ted, you could always get the tube and decide not to use it, or just use it for meds and hydration. Think of it as a way to give yourself more options. It feels good to be hydrated!

I think if I were towards the end of my journey and struggling to eat, I might have chosen not to get one. But I developed bulbar symptoms before my extremities or lungs completely failed, so I saw getting a tube as a way to feel better, be safe, and conserve energy. I got one and don’t regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back