Overstepping the last stair and falling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arty

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tallahassee
Would overstepping the last step while descending stairs and falling be a possible sign of ALS if it has happened twice in a two months period? Has anyone seen this before in the initial onset?

I haven’t seen that particular symptom, but it would justify a visit to your primary care doctor first. S/he could check your strength and reflexes and refer you to a neurologist if concerned. ALS in the legs is more likely to start with difficulty rising up on your toes or heels. The problem you mention may suggest a problem with proprioception or balance or sensory feedback. Not likely ALS but worth getting checked out.

I noticed your profile says “loved one diagnosed”. I’m sorry for that, I’m assuming that this post is about you, however, and not your loved one.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen that particular symptom, but it would justify a visit to your primary care doctor first. S/he could check your strength and reflexes and refer you to a neurologist if concerned. ALS in the legs is more likely to start with difficulty rising up on your toes or heels. The problem you mention may suggest a problem with proprioception or balance or sensory feedback. Not likely ALS but worth getting checked out.

I noticed your profile says “loved one diagnosed”. I’m sorry for that, I’m assuming that this post is about you, however, and not your loved one.
Thank you for the reply. My wife died from ALS - bulbar onset. Will discuss this when I have my annual physical next month. Thank you again.

One of my first falls was descending stairs. The issue was hitting the step with the rear foot only. Lacking any strength in the tibialis anterior caused my foot to hyperextend taking my heel off the step, causing me to fall. So you may have foot drop which can have any number of causes way less sinister than ALS. Get it checked and take comfort from the fact the odds of husband and wife both having ALS are astronomically small.
Vincent

I'm very sorry about the loss of your wife. You are always welcome to join us in the Past Caregivers or other subforums.

I agree that an unexpected fall may or may not mean foot drop, and ALS is a very rare cause of foot drop/falls compared with all the others (including just fatigue or a momentary lapse of concentration).

Best,
Laurie

One of my first falls was descending stairs. The issue was hitting the step with the rear foot only. Lacking any strength in the tibialis anterior caused my foot to hyperextend taking my heel off the step, causing me to fall. So you may have foot drop which can have any number of causes way less sinister than ALS. Get it checked and take comfort from the fact the odds of husband and wife both having ALS are astronomically small.
Vincent
Thank you - I don't I have foot drop if I understand it correctly but hat can be checked next visit with the doctor

I'm very sorry about the loss of your wife. You are always welcome to join us in the Past Caregivers or other subforums.

I agree that an unexpected fall may or may not mean foot drop, and ALS is a very rare cause of foot drop/falls compared with all the others (including just fatigue or a momentary lapse of concentration).

Best,
Laurie
Thank you- I am hoping it is as you say it might be- just a lack of focus- I am going to be very cautious at the bottom of the stairs

Is it possible that proprioception impairment matters might be the initial symptom of als as leg muscle strength does not appear to be an issue? Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
No ALS is about nerves dying and causing muscles to fail.
I'm so sorry for your loss - please see your doctor about your anxiety.
It really is time to work on this with your doctor rather than strangers who are dealing with ALS.

We do not see proprioception impairment per se, as an ALS feature at all, let alone a presenting symptom. Balance apart from the abilities of muscles to hold your position is a brain thing, not a muscles-that-control-the-nerves thing.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back