PALS chat thread ( PALS only please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FALLS/FALLING DISCUSSION
Important Advice from a person that threw persons from airplanes and worked on large construction projects for past 20 years

3 point hold always - do not carry anything in your hands and walk
No pivots
Eliminate Foot entanglements
Plan walking route - use 3 point hold, do it the same way every time
check hand holds always for secure feeling
always have cell phone close by - practice dialing in bed, that will be your fall position
HOSPITALS SUCK

We booked a cruise prior to my diagnosis, not scheduled for until March. Even though I a still currently able to walk we worried what might change in the coming months. We called the cruise line and explained the circumstances. They agreed better to be safe than sorry and switched us to an accessible room at no extra charge.

Rent a scooter. Getting around the cabin at night - buy motion activated lights, at least 3,, set them strategically. I place them on floor so they pick up foot movement. Bring power strip. Put "glow in the dark" tape on cane, light switches, door handles. Take showers in port if possible

Still cruising through therapy. They are test fitting me on different power chairs, trying to find the Goldilocks fit...

A friend and I went to Orlando for the hurricane. We didn't want to take a chance so we stayed in a nice two-bedroom, two bath with a full kitchen, living room and dining room. The first day we sat out by the pool and got some sun. Then the rain/wind started so we just played cards and watched TV. Fred stayed here with Ace and my friend's husband also stayed at their condo. We both have first-floor units and were worried about storm surges but it hardly hit DB Shores. Now I'm back. I really missed my lift chair and bidet.

i hope everyone is enjoying September. I love Fall. Oregon was lovely. Got to see people we lived and missed.

My wheelchair is in order and I’m not sure I would want to fly with it regardless. The new rollator got fairly scratched up but the airline personnel were very sweet.

We were very active when we lived there so this was bittersweet. We did do one trail which was a huge accomplishment for me and a testimony to my husband’s infinite patience.

Attachments

• A6DB779E-81DC-46C1-AD77-105F4E71F150.jpeg
    A6DB779E-81DC-46C1-AD77-105F4E71F150.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 272
  • D6CF7F56-00B7-4DB2-8151-B420B9EF13D5.jpeg
    D6CF7F56-00B7-4DB2-8151-B420B9EF13D5.jpeg
    971.3 KB · Views: 293
How wonderful the world travelers had such lovely times. Beautiful memories for winter remembrance.
Thank you for the photos. May blessings abound. B.:cool:

Got a question, has anyone ordered a blended type meal on an airplane? If so how was it, or what else has you tried?

Wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing. Embrace all that you are capable of doing. :)

Air travel with a PWC? HOW do you do it?

Air travel with a PWC? HOW do you do it?
Depending on the type of wheelchair and your ability. I use a air Hawk wheelchair for travel and it can be gait checked. I am able to walk down to the plane from the gate. Others I see, doing the same but they transfer to a manual chair and have the airport staff assist them to the plane. You'll need to be able to sit in the regular plane seat, but they will take you all the way to your seat if needed. But you must contact your airline to see if your chair fits on the plane as they need to know if it can fit through there doors, some planes are pretty small. Photo shows me and my air Hawk in Wales last week. Airlines will need to know the dimensions of the chair and the type of battery, dry cell ect. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• received_392463584755887.jpeg
    received_392463584755887.jpeg
    375.8 KB · Views: 268
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back