Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
NH
City
New London
I'm seeking input on the chronic pain in my neck since getting my head controls in mid-June. Not pain management or treatment, but prevention. I don't have forward head drop at this point but as my neck weakens my head tilts to my left, causing my neck muscles to scrunch and stretch to the point of significant pain and immobility by the end of the day. It is worse when I use my tobii, which is mounted on a stand. I can't figure out a placement that is comfortable.

My question is, with all the various professionals around, who's the best suited to help me with position and mechanics of head placement? Is a neck collar helpful to keep my head straight? Do these recommendations typically come from a PT or should I ask the ATP from the wheelchair company? Who could advise about Tobii placement?

Picture below shows head tilt and neck strain on a day when my friend and I wore the same dress! thanks for your thoughts!
67558948_2863068570377043_6323595807211651072_n.jpg
67558948_2863068570377043_6323595807211651072_n.jpg

Your neck muscles appear very strained. I would think PT would be most helpful and a good place to start as far as your other questions.

I bought a neck brace and started a very slow exercise routine with the neck muscles. very sloww
Ask your PT, Do not push it

To avoid "scrunching," I would consider a midline mount for your wheelchair, that can keep your Tobii and drive controls placed at front center or whatever position you need. Google Bodypoint midline (disclaimer: I worked there.) You may also want to consider chest support so your neck is not doing as much work helping to balance your upper body.

In addition to PT and adjustments, you might want to find a good massage therapist who can do gentle trigger point release. After my car accident my neck looked like yours. If your muscles aren't too compromised, a good massage therapist who understands the situation might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back