Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
this is happening more frequently and it's terrifying. Yesterday I woke from a nap and suddenly couldn't take in a deep breath. Only point five ml morphine settles me down. I suspect this is part of the end game. I don't really like the way morphine makes me feeling, but wondered if starting regular dose would head off these breathing emergency. What do you experts who have been through this suggest.

It’s certainly worth trying a regular dose of Morphine rather than waiting for things to get bad before taking it. Maybe also increasing the Ativan.

So sorry to hear that you’re having this.

Me too. Very sorry to hear. Wishing for you that the meds will help.

Morphine is a respiratory supressant. Having said that there is a paradoxical effect of in small doses it actually relaxes you so it is easier to breathe<1mg. It is possible to develop a tolerance= meaning you won't be as messed up as time goes on. So I would definitely go with regular doses, unless you are an adreneline junky and need the added stress.
Vincent

Kay,

I don't have personal experience but I've spoken to several PALS/CALS about this and also my neurologist. My neuro seems to think a regular dose of a benzo along with a small dose of morphine can be taken 3-4 times a day when breathing is a struggle.

I hope this works for you.

small regular doses of morphine and/or clonazepam are way better.
Think of it this way - if you let pain or anxiety build, then it takes a larger dose to counteract it.
If you take a larger dose, then there is more chance it will also suppress breathing a little.

However, truly if you are only taking a small dose (mg tells us how much, as it could be .5 ml of a variety of strength suspensions), won't depress your breathing at all, but will relax the muscles and assist.

Have you tried clonazepam drops? What can work really well as a palliative measure is a regular dose of a small amount of morphine, and then clonazepam drops for break through anxiety. Just 1 or 2 drops directly on the gums is immediately absorbed, so you get relief fast.

So sorry Kay, it must be just horrible 💜 💜 💜

I am so sorry you are experiencing this. You are in my prayers.

Steve

OK I have decided to have five mg of morphine three or four times daily. I combine
with mmj and Ativan. we will see how that goes. Thanks for all the input. Don't know how I would get through this with out you all

We are right there with you beautiful Kay 💜 💜 💜

Praying for you Kay. Not easy at all.

Hugs

Kay,

I've been thinking about you today. Hope you're comfortable.

So sorry this is happening, Kay. Our thoughts are with you.

Sending many greetings today.

Thinking of you Kay 😘

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back