Showing granulation tissue.     Infection is mostly cleared up at this point
rose

Showing granulation tissue. Infection is mostly cleared up at this point

Diane, I hear about granulation often. Which bit is 'granulation'. L's site looks similar to this, but nobody seems to think there IS an issue. D

Dani, The reddish bubbly stuff inside the hole is the granulation. Its made mostly of blood vessels and bleeds SUJPER easily. I don't know why it causes secretions, but it does (the yellow gunk you see) My gastro, when he placed the tube, said they like to put it as close to midline of the body as they can, as its least vascular there, and least chance of bleeding. At the time I thought he was referring to the surgery, and he may have been, but it would follow that the body would attempt to create more granulation tissue in areas of our bodies that naturally have more blood vessels. The parts inside my stoma that are granulation, bleed at just barely a touch. Today there is less discharge, and looks like less granulation. I can't wait to be healed enough to take an "after" photo! I'm sorry L's medical support people aren't being more helpful, but that is common (sadly).

Thanks Diane. I know what you mean about bleeding easily, we too are having this issue. I have stepped up the cleaning of the site and is looking a little better. When I asked about secretions I was told those were just 'stomach juices' and not to worry. Whatever they are they seem to get rather crusty if not cleaned several times a day. D

Dani, I remember reading on one of the tube feeding support forums that if stomach secretions are coming out, that either the bumper needs to be tighter, or tube larger in diameter. (?) I sure wouldn't tighten it without prior approval by a nurse or doctor, who actually knows about PEG.

I think L is more likely having secretions that are from the granulation tissue, which if he is bleeding easily, he is bound to have some. I'm going to post some photos from this morning, I am loads better. Take a look! I took last dose of antibiotic this morning, hopefully won't be having to go back on it. Good luck, I think you guys can get his better too. (also see if its bumping around more than it should, I've been keeping mine in a more stable position except when cleaning, or turning the bumper around)

Media information

Album
PEG (not the Steely Dan song)
Added by
rose
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

Back