Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
US
State
NY
City
NEW ROCHELLE
Hello everyone, I hope you guys are doing all well. I joined this forum with the hopes of having someone to listen. My father was diagnosed at the end of July 2009 with ALS. I have no idea what to do. He doesn't speak any english and I am the one who goes with him to the doctor's appointment. I was first told what my dad had by an insensible jerk. This doctor, Dr. Jeffrey Berman in NY explained that he had ALS by telling me the different names to this disease, but I didn't know anything about it. So, he explained to me that it was named after this famous baseball player in the 20/30s and that he 2 years after he was diagnosed. I was devastated, I had to translate without telling him what it would end. I am really scared and depressed and extremely angry. I took him to another neurologist for a 2nd opinion, but it was confirmed. I'm having problems with my family. They think it is too much and too many test. The problem is that my dad doesn't quite explain his pains. I also have to deal with the bills that are piling up. He was the head of household.

Good Morning,

Welcome to the site. It is sad that you had to find us , and we are sorry for your fathers diagnosis.

It is very scary to receive this horrible news but there a lot of people that can help.

I think this may be the closest chapter of ALSA - The ALS Association.

Greater New York Chapter
42 Broadway
Suite 1724
New York, NY 10004
800-672-8857

These people will help you with support for your father and tell what services are available to him. They also help caregivers such as your self. You should call these people , they can help. Yes , this can get very expensive. These people do loan out equipment , if available from their loan cabinet.

As for the people of this forum, we are not doctors , but we are people that either have ALS , or like yourself are caring for people with this disease and its many variants.

There are a lot of caring people here willing to listen , and share their experiences and opinions , that will hopefully be of help to you.

Please remember to take care of yourself also.

Glen

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you came to the Forum there are many caring people here who will be glad to listen and help where possible.
Glen had a good point. The ALS association is a good place to start for help. I would call them first thing Monday morning and describe your situation.

did you tell the family what is wrong with dad,if not you should so that when you do tell him how this works the whole family can support him and whats going to happen to him and , i am sure they wont care about cost for anything for him and thier is help for him and you are going to have to tell him the whole story of how this awful diease works once you understand it yourself as he is only going to get worse and it wont affect his mind so he will know whats going on and be more afraid as time goes by and things get worse .......it is very hard to be in your shoes and everyone here will help you as best as we can dont be afraid to ask questions.....best of luck

Welcome Lou. I'm sorry for your dad's diagnosis and your frustration about the whole situation. It sounds like you have a lot riding on your shoulders. We are all ears, so please keep in touch as you begin to untangle everything that is in knots. Blessings, Pam

Thank you for your kind words. I haven't been able to log in as much as would like. it has been very tiring. My dad is stable for now, but it is not easy. thank you again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back