Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
KS
City
Overland Park
I am happy to find this site. My mother was diagnosed with ALS in February. She has been living in central Mexico for several years and wants to stay there. She is able to walk very slowly and is beginning to have problems breathing intermittently. Doctors there are not familiar with ALS and there are no other resources there. I have many questions to ask those who, sadly, have had experience with this very difficult illness. I appreciate the opportunity to communicate with you.

Thanks,

Pams

Hi Pam

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry about your moms diagnosed. You will find many knowledgeable and supportive people here. If your mom were to go to an als clinic, many of them are every 3 months for the entire day. She would not have to make multiple appts for different days, so, if she could get here every 3 months for 1 day, I'm sure she would find this beneficial.

Pam.. I am very sorry to hear about your Mom's diagnosed..This forum has alot of your answers and alot of support.. I am happy you have found this place..and your Mother and you will be in my prayers..

Thank you for your thoughts, ideas and prayers. I wish you the best also in dealing with this illness. pams

My mom has ALS too. I am also new to this forum. goodluck with everything and keep i touvh with me.

WELCOME JABAIZA

I'm sure you are a tremendous help to your mom. I am sorry to hear of your moms diagnosed, you are in a good place for support though.

My mothers

Hi my name is Jenny and I am going through the hardest time of my life which is also supposed to be the happiest time of my life...I just got married and recently bought our first home...but there are two major problems in mine and my husbands life...my mother was diagnosed with ALS right before we got married, and his mother is battling with lung cancer..they have both gotten worse... my mother in law has 3 months ,if that, left to live because of the fact that the tumors are all throughout her body so they cannot do radiation they could do more rounds of chemo but she is so weak she would not have much of a quality of life. So she is living her last days at home...my mother was diagnosed right before my wedding and they said she had had it for about 2 years before she was diagnosed. She is depressed all the time but who can blame her, she cannot use her legs , her right arm is gone, and her right neck muscles are giving out. my sister and my father and I are at our wits end because she is so negative all the time, she also has OCD , bipolarism , depression, and talks about suicide all the time... My father in law is an alcoholic and is not in the picture. So things are pretty tough all around... this is my first time writing out what is actually going on in my life...i cannot believe it is real. I know we always say take it one day at a time but I just don't know how much more I can take. She has a motorized wheelchair our bathroom were made handicapped and we have a chair lift that goes up the stairs but we are having a problem lifting my mom now...my father and sister and I all have back problems how can we break it to my mom that we need her to get a catheter so my dad can have a full nites sleep. And is anyone having problems with stubborness and negativity like we are?

hello jbaiza.

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a tough time. I'm also sorry you had to come looking for the forum, but since you did, WELCOME. I'm so sorry about your MIL. As far as your mom goes, it's up to her how she chooses to live (or die) with als. Most of us here are fighting to stay alive. I can tell you this, I wish I had half of what your mom has. Does she take anti depressents? I suspect she does.

Maybe you need to tell her just how it is. Get off the pity pot and get on with living. There is no point in making everybody who is trying to help her miserable. Yes, she has a reason to be depressed, all of us here do. She has to sit back and take a good look at what she's doing.

She can still have a good quality of life, and a long one due to venting. You all might want to sit down with her and have a family meeting. Discuss with her what she wants and what will make her happy. Ultimately, it's her decision to make, the situation will not be made better by her making her caregivers miserable. If anything it makes matters much worse.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with such negativity.

Take Care

Hi I am also new here,

I just wanted to take the chance to introduce myself. My name is Susan and a friend of my grandma is diagnosed with ALS. I really like her and due to this I decided to register here in order to get some information. I hope I will get support if I need it and find all the answers to my questions.

Welcome Susan! We will help however we can.

Hi Susan,

Welcome to the forum. There is a substantial amount of information here, ask away.;-)

hi pams...

dont lose hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back