Loved one DX
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
Hello,

Just discovered this forum... looking for some support.

My father has what doctors think is ALS... let me explain.
On Jan 07, 2008 after attending a function my father suddenly had trouble walking to the car. Initially thought his foot fell asleep, as the symptoms went away a short time later.

Two days later he was unable to walk and was "throwing" his legs forward instead of lifting and walking. He has been to some of the top hospitals in the Toronto Area and initially the various doctors suspected ALS, then ruled it out.
Several MRIs, X-Rays, CT scans later no evidence of anything abnormal.
The only issue he was having was walking, no loss of strength, no pain, no loss of feeling etc.
The fact that it started so suddenly has baffled doctors... they also initially suspected a stroke. He was "officially" diagnosed with ALS in June 08

Recently I have noticed that he's having trouble writing, slurring is speech, loss of mobility his upper extremities in addition to the legs. This has really devastated him and the family. He's been fighting for over a year now, but it seems he's losing hope and faith.

Please help me, I am trying to be positive for him but I feel he's slowly slipping away.
He's able to move around the house a little with the help of a cane and/or walker.
But outside he's regulated to a wheelchair. It's so hard to see my father the one who protected and taught me most of what I know in this world so helpless.

Just looking for some support... not sure of what to expect or how to prepare for the inevitable.

Hi Torontoguy. Welcome to the forums but sorry about your dad. I hope we can give you some hope and help here. Has your dad registered with the ALS Society of Ont? They have support groups in the Toronto area. You can find info at www.alsont.ca The support groups are for family as well as patients. You can go and there will probably be people there that are dealing with the same issues you are dealing with. It helps to talk with people who really understand your fears because they have them too. Ask any questions here that you might have.

AL.

Hello Torontoguy, welcome to our big "family". I am sorry to hear about your dad. There are many family members of PALS here and we all know how you feel. I was diagnosed in January of 08 and have 20 year old son who isn't a big talker but I know that he has had feelings like what you have. I feel lucky that so far only my speaking and swallowing has been affected but even that is difficult.

This forum is a real help in staying positive and if there's anything that we can do just let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back