Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Researching for a relative 32 y.o. female who began having choking issues last Oct 2011 which required ER hospital visit. Ongoing difficulty swallowing and indicates inability to yawn, seemingly unable to catch her breath... She's new to the West Coast so relied on others for doctor referrals who continued to overbook and reschedule. Finally now scheduled for endoscopy but not til end of August. Apparently the initial endoscopy from Oct 2011 did not give anything conclusive. She has had T&A removed as a child and hx of GERD. Has been very athletic all her life and remains active...noted that she was in a car accident several years ago with a neck injury and recently read how many patients seemed to fare better with chiropractic visits. My excessive worry has kept me glued to the internet and know that I do not have credentials to diagnose. I pray that there are other causes for her discomfort. I have certainly became more educated on this dreadful disease. We need to focus on curing illness and disease for humans instead of wasting money on war and helping the greedy corporations and CEO's. Life is too precious to waste for any of us. Thank you for listening. Best of luck to all.

Sorry about your friend. Inability to yawn was never a problem with my husband til the very end stage. In fact one of the symptoms a lot of pALS have is excessive yawing. Whether that is a bulbar issue, I don't know. What is she having difficulty swallowing? Has she had a sleep study?

By the time someone's swallowing is affected in ALS, their speech has gone downhill drastically. So, what about her speech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back