Country
US
State
MI
City
Richland
Hi,
Finally got approval to post :-D

My brother has ALS, was diagnosed in December of 2010 (I think?)..

I just found out last September - and from my father.

Lots of stuff has transpired since I first applied for membership and my brother is no longer speaking to me - which is unfortunate. I think he's taking his anger at his situation out on me, and if that helps him - so be it. I'd rather have him take it out on me than his wife or kids.

anyone else ever find themselves in a similar situation?

Absolutley!
I'm sorry for your brother's diagnosis.

Unfortunatey, anger is one of those feelings this disease brings with it sometimes.
Frustration is another, wounded pride another...

It can also bring positive feelings like love and an understanding of being loved.

This forum is an amazing source of information, understanding and love.

Try and encourage him (maybe through your father) to browse some comments here, and possibly join so he can share his experiences, and ask questions he may need answers to.

You'd be suprised how many of us will have something in common with your brother.
(I am 41, married with 2 kids)

We may not have control of what happends TO us, but we DO have control of how we deal with it.

Cheers,
Casey

Thanks for the reply. He did tell me that he knew of the forum, so hopefully he reads here. He won't talk to me at all - and my father refuses to get involved.

I said something similar to my siblings - that we have no control over what is happening with him but we do have control over how we treat each other.

His children don't know (or didn't last I knew) what his diagnosis is - they're 15 and 10. He has a daughter from a previous marriage that I had to tell, and he refuses to let her see him or talk to her. His sons don't know about her, they don't know he was married before, and his attitude is that it'll be more devastating to them to lose their father than to find out they have a sister.

Welcome to our Springer life.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back