What is Biotechnology in a simple Definition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Peter

Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
TX
City
Dallas
Hi friends,

I want to make an Agricultural science class report , and I got assigned to do Biotechnology. But, I have no idea what it is, and I tried looking it up on Google, but all I get is the really complicated stuff. So, what is Biotechnology?

Thanks so much.
John Peter

"Biotechnology is any technological application that uses biological systems, living organisms, or derivatives thereof, to make or modify products or processes for specific use."

Ok sounds complicated and in some instances it is.
Think of easy applications such as using yeasts to brew beer..........the yeast organism is used to make a product, beer
It can be used in recycling, using natural organisms to break down the compounds. Composting etc
Even the selection of good varieties of grain, to improve crops is biotechnology. choosing good Bulls to breed a stronger herd............the list goes on

It's just basically the use of a natural thing to make something new, or improve on what you have. That's a way too simplified explanation.

Now I am not sure what brought you to this site, but it's nice to think about something other than ALS.

I hope your assignment goes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back