Country
US
State
California
City
Fontana
Hi folks,
My 1st post.
About me: my name is ed. 62 yr old male; born and raised in southern calif. Married for 30 years to my beautiful wife Janice; one daughter, 29 yrs old, one son 24 yrs old. Retired in jan 2010 after 36 yrs with local phone company, at&t (originally pacific telephone, became sbc, became at&t). U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 4 yrs active duty, mar 1969 to mar 1973.

Got the als news in apr 2011. Right hand and arm symptoms since sep 2010, but in hindsight, my wife noticed speech changes before then. Now, right hand is basically useless, left hand can still hold a spoon and type with one finger. Speech is getting more difficult to understand, unable to hold my head up (goes forward), and some swallowing issues. No choking but docs have me on a pureed diet and I have to hold my head up when swallowing to prevent aspiration. (will be getting a peg in about a month.) I’m in the phase 3 dex trial at UC Irvine, going on 6 months now, can’t tell if I’m getting the real thing or not.

I want to give all my pals, cals, relatives, and friends on this forum a big thank you for sharing your experiences, wisdom, successes, and battles. I know it has helped me gain a better understanding for the future and, it might sound odd but, sort of a feeling of reassurance from being with others who know and can relate to what we are going through.

Be strong everyone,
Ed

Welcome aboard Ed!

This is a great place to get all kinds of information. Sorry you have to be here though.

Hi Ed. Welcome to the forum. A few of of us are in the Dex trial. I'm not sure if I got the real drug either. Like you, my speech is affected and my left hand.

Hey Ed so sorry for your diagnosis. Any way we can help just ask, I am sure someone will pipe on.

Hey Ed! It's my right hand and speech. Everything else works as needed. Some days are better than others. I learn something new here every day. Also, meeting people who understand, is comforting.

It's nice to meet you but I'm sorry for your diagnosis. Let us know if you have any questions! Welcome!

Welcome Ed! I too am an x bellboy. You have found the right place for support and help for the ride. Hang in there!

Hi Ed, welcome to the forum, sorry for your diagnosis, hope you continue to fine the help and support you need.

Hi Ed, Welcome to the family, but so sorry you too have been D X with this monster. We are all here for you. There are so many wonderful people here to help you on this new journey we are now on, with support, wisdom, and so much info to share. {{{Big Hug}}

Welcome Ed but sorry you had to find us.

AL.

Hi Ed, as everyone else has already said, sorry you had to be here, but welcome! This forum is a lifeline to me, and I hope you find it helpful as well.
Helen

Hi Ed,
Welcome.

This site is great.
If you need advice you'll get it. If you have advice, please give it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back