Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
Greensburg
Re: introducing myself

Hi Jack,

I'll introduce myself too. Something I haven't done. Good idea! My husband was diagnosed in May then again in June through a second opinion meeting in the ALS/MD Clinic in Pittsburgh, PA.
We have been devastated!
What helped us to this point is anti-depressants!
Then, I agree with others here...Contact the ALS Association! We have a social worker that is the most amazing, compassionate person. Before getting in contact with them, I was in a total panic wondering how I was going to handle everything by myself. But, you aren't alone, they are there 100% to help you with this beast!
Take a vacation. If you can! Even a get away weekend I am sure would help. We went away for a week. The ALS Association helped to get us a transport wheelchair. My husband John is walking with a cane, but gets tired easily, looses his balance, and the cane just hurts his hand after using it a while. I asked about it, and in the blink of an eye it was there at our doorstep!
Getting away helped so much. We were busy driving, planning, exploring, eating, and turned into little kids again with our minds busy having fun!
Now we are back and it is easier to deal with somehow. Of course the anti-depressants are totally kicked in! There is somehow a sence of acceptance and knowing that we are going to fight this as much as possible, cherish each day we have, and not ruin today in worry about tomorrow!
Church was difficult at first. All I wanted to do was cry and beg God. Now, I use the time to pray, ask for strength, and look to God for guidance! I visualize and ask for a miracle in what ever form God sees for my husband! Misdiagnosis, Remission... Plateau, PLS...Not ALS!, a long First Stage, Stop in Progression, .......
I have my own set of neurlogical problems and issues that I won't get into because this is about my husband and not me! But, I have experienced miracles through my issues, and know they are possible.
I suggest reading, "Love, Medicine, and Miracles" by Dr. Bernie Siegel.
When we went to see the doc in Pittsburgh I asked him about possible causes of ALS. We discussed the connection to the military. My husband is a Vet! Then, possible theories... He mentioned that more often now he sees ALS showing up with people in the same neighborhoods. He feels it is environmental.
I don't know if it is because we are now involved with ALS, but it is amazing how many friends tell me stories about their mother, their friend, father, etc... And, one friend told me she has two cousins that have it. Wow. I agree! Rare...?
God Bless You!

My husband has ALS! He was diagnosed in May and then June 2011. In June, we went for a second opinion to the ALS/MD Clinic.
We have been devastated!
It was like a monster moved in with us and now we are doing everything and anything to keep it contained!
John stopped smoking, he is eating better, vitamins, and you name it we are doing it. But, most importantly we are praying. Our faith has grown ten fold! With anti-depressants, support from the ALS Association, a vacation escape, and most of all our faith we are dealing with this the best we can!
I'm a Special Education Teacher (32 years) so I know about a lot of the issues we are facing with medical equipment and such. I've also had my own neurological issues and diagnosis, but nothing I've experienced comes close to this!
I have experienced miracles through my own experiences. Sometimes a miracle is as simple as a change in attitude, strength, but it can also be a plateau, remission, stop in progression, a cure!, medicaion that works better. So, I pray! I pray, and pray and pray!

Welcome to the forum...we made two committments when I got diagnosed: 1) we'd never lose our faith 2) we'd never lose our sense of humor. Both have been invaluable in our journey so far.

Welcome!
KC2U2 gave some great advice. By all means, find time to laugh each and every day. If there are times when you need help, advice or support, just pop in here and someone will be ready to assist. This forum has helped me tremendously since I joined in April.

Again, Welcome!

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers from "down under"

Peter

Welcome , so sorry you have to be here but happy you found this site. So much support and love here it's unbelievable from people all over the globe. Us earthlings must stick together...:)

You will discover as time passes that you and your husband are blessed that he is a Veteran. It makes this difficult journey much easier.

Welcome! I'm new too and thus far have discovered a ton of support.

Contact your PVA rep ASAP if you haven't already - the will be sure your husband gets ALL the benefits available through the VA.

Welcome to all the newbies. Hope we can be of some help.

AL.

Hello, KissJ, welcome to our little family! I am so sorry about the diagnosis, but I am so glad you found us!

Welcome to the forum. Wonderful place to find compassionate, loving and caring individuals who are most helpful on all topics dealing with ALS/PLS/MND.

I'm semi-new on the forum. Welcome to all the new people. I have gained a wealth of information and support on this site. You will too! Yasmin

Thank you, we did and have a wonderful, helpful advocate through the PVA!

You are so right!

I'm very sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosed. Welcome to the forum and I hope we can be of encouragement to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back