Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
LA
City
New Orleans
Hi everyone. My name is Kevalyn. My mom Jerri was just diagnosed in April, but we knew something was going on for a while before. It just took the doctors ages to figure it out. She's progressed very rapidly 3 months prior to her diagnosis, but seems to be holding steady with the help of Rilutek. I feel like I'm drowning because we are trying to find out as much information and to get access to as many resources as possible, but I feel like we are running out of time. Grateful to have found this forum and to know that we are not alone.

Hi Kevalyn! You are right, you, your mom, and your family are definately not alone. Feel free to ask questions/concerns/rant/rave...whatever...we are here for you to listen and offer any advice that we can. You may find the CALS( Caregivers of people with ALS) thread specifically helpful to you in your situation. They have a lot of threads going that you may run into in the near future...mobililty issues, breathing issues, support...etc. Welcome. :)
Peace,
Kell Bell

Kevalyn,
You came to the right place. I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and learned more from this site than any Doctor explained to me.
Sorry about your Mom

Kevalyn, I was diagnosed last September, we're from New Orleans and live in the Lafayette area now. We have an ALS Clinic here that is excellent. Are you working with the ALSA, they have been a huge help to us. They hold monthly support group meetings in NO as well...you'll get a lot of help here in the forum, so come back often. If you need help with local stuff just ask.

moderated:?::?:

Kevalyn,
Welcome to the forum, but also sorry you had to find us and I'm sorry to hear of your Mom's diagnosis. I too learned tons from these people already. Please know you have the support of myself and many others here in the forum.
Kell Bell had some great advice about the CALS thread. There are very helpful people who can advise/help in many ways.

Also, look into the ALS Association in your area. They have already been a tremendous help to me.
Again, Welcome!
Mary

Hi Kevalyn, I am so sorry you have to be here. I am sorry for your Mom. This is a hard road to travel, but there are many people here who will gladly help you navigate the terrain.

Where did your Mom's symptoms start? How much has she progressed? Was/Is she working? Answers to these questions will help the people here guide you in the equipment needs, financial and insurance possiblities. Just remember that it is better to be proactive with this disease and look into the future as to upcoming needs.

My thoughts are with you.

Welcome to the forum Kevalyn

Cheers from "down under"

Peter

Hey Kevalyn,

I am KC2U2's wife, Gina! Welcome to the forum and Life with ALS! Hurry and get in touch with the ALS Association, Dora is wonderful! We are frequently in the New Orleans area, so if you want to meet up with us just let us lnow? We will help in any way we can. You dont and cant do this by yourself!

I can't say enough about the ALS Association and the help they are providing. We have an ALS Social Worker that is kind, there 100%, and directs us every step of the way about insurance, equipment, etc... Contact them! You won't be sorry. God Bless!

Welcome Kevalyn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back