Diagnosis
03/2011
Country
US
State
Kentucky
City
Beaver Dam
My connection with ALS is my mom. We found out about a month ago that she has ALS. She was having problems with her speech, then started having some trouble with her left arm. Those two are the only places the ALS is affecting her body as of right now. I'm the oldest child and will likely be the primary caregiver when she can no longer care for herself. I have a precious baby girl who absolutely loves her Nana (my mom) like crazy. (Well, she's 6 but she'll always be my baby! ;) I just wanted to join the site to try and figure out how I can help my mom through this. Also, how I can help the rest of my family, including "Nana's Baby" to deal with what lies ahead. Unfortunately, I know some of you have walked this road before me, and I'm sorry you've had to. I would really appreciate it if you could share your experiences with me, so that I am better equipped to handle this. As of right now....I'm completely lost.

Hello there and welcome to the forum-though I'm sorry for the reason you find yourself here. My connection with als is also my mother who began with speech difficulties in 2009. The folks on here are great and there's a wealth of experience and support which is readily shared. I'm sorry you're feeling lost just now. Getting the diagnosis can be a bit overwhelming, can't it? Especially if the mind shoots far ahead to what might happen in the future. Hope we can be here for you as you walk this road with your mom & baby girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back