Diagnosis
2/2009
Country
US
State
GA
City
Douglasville
Hello my new brothers and sisters or friends if you prefer. I have no idea what I'm doing, just to let you know. I'm Don Boy and I'd like to say 1st that yesterday was 2 years sinse being dianosed with ALS. In the 2 years it has reduced me to wheel chair confinement and complete loss of the use of my arms and legs. All I am capable of doing is to either watch TV, listen to music which I do all of the time, I do love music. I'm able to use my computer with Microsoft speech recognition, I do thank god for this technology or lay in bed. All I do is listen, see, speak in think, my loving wife has to care for my every need. I am sick and tired of this disease, it has taken everything from me. I find myself in tears most of the time, not feeling sorry for myself but looking at the fact that I will never be able to do anything again. I lost total use of my all arms six months after diagnosis. Everything is progressing so rapidly I am overwhelmed by the thoughts of it. I have a lot of pain, cramps that feel like my muscles are tearing, getting choked or strangled on my own saliva daily. I am so confused and I joined this in hopes that someone could help me and that may be, just maybe I can help someone else. I love all people, I live a life of love and peace. I have no enemies only friends whom I have not introduced myself to. I'm struggling here my friends, I wish I could just go away to somewhere where nobody knows who I am but I can even do that. I want you to know that I do love you one an all that is who I am. PEACE, may God bless you. I hope I am doing this and right place, if not delete me or whatever.
Your friend,
Don Boy

Sounds like you are reaching out in the right place. You have been dealing with this for 2 years today. My husband was just diagnosed in Oct. OUr first trip to the neuro we were told probable ALS. After testing it was confirmed. He just turned 60. October/Nov he could walk with a cane, December he used a walker, by end of January he's in a power chair. Fast progression and hard to stay on top of. Some days we coast along pretty good and some days we feel pretty beaten down and sad. We are fortunate to have a great support network of loving and caring people. i think this is what's getting us through all of this. I hope that you allow others into your life to help you.. It is sooo important to allow that to happen. One day at a time is a cliche' phrase, but there is definitely a message that you need to embrace..

Wishing today and tomorrow will be better days..''

Welcome to the forum. Please contribute and get involved as it will give you something worthwhile to do and can fill in the extra hours.

Take a look at my website; Living and Surving with ALS I am totally immobile too with the addition of not having a voice.

Hi Don Boy,

We are all here to support each other, so you have come to the right place. My husband is progressing very rapidly, too. It's hard to wrap our minds around this sometimes. One day at a time, one day at a time...

Hi Don Boy, Welcome to the forum! I to am progressing quickly after 1 year of start of symptoms at age 50. This disease does suck but I am very grateful for the support here. I hope you hang around and walk down this road with us. Blessings to you.

your a trooper in this being two years old theres much you have to offer all pals and cals. here is the place to share pain, tears, and hope.

just want to say hi and welcome you ... this is a great place for you to come and share the good and the bad

Hi Don Boy,

So sorry your progression has been fast, but welcome to this group and, as Joel said, get involved. It does make your day count for something. We have our slower times of day, but it's generally busy here.

Bless you,
Ann

Greetings, Don Boy!

Welcome to the forum! Reading your introduction was heart wrenching. I'm very sorry you've had such a rapid progression.

Please take Joel's advice and make contributing to this forum a regular part of your day. Your input can add a great deal of value and be of tremendous help to many.

I'd like to know more about you. What kind of work did you do before you came down with ALS? Do you have any children? Please tell us more about you and your loving wife.

mate..i aint got the words that will give you comfort..should you hear ore read some that do provide some comfort, do me a favour and credit me with one or two..cause i would like to credit them back to you...god bless..johnny

Hi Don, your introduction was really good. Doesn't it feel like ALS often gets the good and great people, those who really can change the world but are not let to it 100% because of the disabling? That is how it feels to me anyhow. Welcome once again, you will find many people just like yourself here, sharing knowledge and history.

Hello Don Boy. Welcome to our family. I really feel for you. Sounds to me like youre a warrior.
My PALS was diagnosed almost 9 years ago. He has been completely immobile for over 5 years. No speach for even longer.
Sounds like you have a wonderful wife. If you'd like, invite her to join as well.
Im sorry youve got to be here, but Im glad to have "met" you and hope to get to know you.
Hang in there friend.

My brothers & sisters, i'm glad to meet you all, may god bless you. I'll get used to how this works, bear with me.. I don't know how you are coping with a l s , the constant severe pain, cramps, getting chocked and not being able to do anything at all, i'm at the end of my rope, i don't know anymore. I'm sick of myself and what my wife's going through. No purpose in being anymore...god help me?
Love & peace
don boy

Don-
Is there anything that makes you smile? Anything that can take your mind off of things? Do you have faith?
There is a Christian thread here, if that is your type of thing.
My heart breaks for you when I read your posts. I want to tell you to not give up and to keep fighting the good fight.
But, that would just be naive. All I can do is offer you my support and a shoulder to "cry" on.
May I ask, are you on any antidepressive medication? Most PALS end up on them at one time or another and can really make a huge difference.
Do you have visitors? Do you get out at all? Tell me about you. You matter to us and we would like to get to know you.

Hey there, DonBoy!

Haven't heard back from you and took some time to reread your initial post. You stated you like to listen to music; what kind of music and which artist to you like?

What was your occupation prior to ALS?

Do you have any affiliation with a church organization? How about children or grandchildren?

It sounds like you have a wonderful wife that loves you very much, a love you obviously reciprocate. Looks like you have a nice set of wheels from the look of things in the picture.

Here's hoping we hear from you again soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back