Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Palestine
Would like to respond to some posts so I thought I better say hello first. I was diagnosed Sept. 2010. First weakness appeared in Dec. 2009. I was conducting a scuba class and couldn't lift my leg to put my fins on and then had trouble getting out of the water. I then noticed troubles riding my bike, couldn't unclip from my pedals and average speed getting slower. In June had to grab my leg with my hand to lift it to the car - TIME TO SEE THE DR.
Saw first neurologist in late August and then 2 weeks later. He only saw upper mnd with emg. I was referred by him to Dr. Appel in Houston who diagnosed me with ALS.

I have signed up for the Ceftriaxone study and will have the catheter done on Nov. 16.

I think that covers the basics and I look forward to a long cyber relationship with ya'll

Hello and welcome, scubadale. I'm so sorry for your diagnosis being ALS. It certainly is a recent diagnosed--I hope you're doing ok with the changes in your life, which to me sound pretty fast. Hate to hear that it's the way it is.
Ann

scubadale = welcome to the forum! blessings to you and may the C-trial help slow your progression!

Sorry for your diagnosed. You will find the forum to be a wonderful resource with lots and lots of great people eager to help you. Good luck with the trial, let us know how it goes. - Ted

Welcome to the forum! Jump right in and ask any questions you want. We will do our best to be a support for you.

Welcome to the forum. You will make many friends here 8)

Welcome! This is a great forum and lots of caring people who are going through this as well. I am sorry of your recent diagnosis.

Welcome scubadale. I remember having trouble climbing back on the dive boat and thinking I must be getting old or something. That was a while ago so hope you are a slow progressor too.

AL.

I thought I would "Just say Hi" also. I was diagnosed in Aug this year with PLS. I know however that I have had symtoms since about spring 2005. Just about this time last year everything got worse and the falls started. About 17 falls between Oct and Mar when I stopped counting. In Mar I finally conviced my family doctor that there was something realy wrong with me. MRI and neurologist produced a diagnosed of Normal Pressure Hydracephelus "water on the brain" which was retracted in short order.

Now I have a new neurologist who gave me a diagnosed right away that confirmed my suspicions. I am fortunate to have a caring husband and we started to move on before diagnosed. My wheelchair accesssible house will be ready in about 4 weeks and my power wheel chair is on order.

I have been reading and learing on the side lines for a while. I finally got the courage to join in and I'm very glad I did.

Paula

Scubadale, my dad was just diagnosed this July and he too goes to Dr. Appel. He went today to look into the trial medications. He is actually going with one of the studies that Dr. Appel is heading up. He looked into the Ceftriaxone, but decided on the other because swimming seems to benefit him and with the ceftriaxone he wouldn't be able to swim! Anyway, I am praying for everyone that a cure will be found soon or at least something that will slow the progression. I know God still performs miracles......so I'm asking Him to do so. Together, we will all make it through this!

Welcome Paula. Hope we can be of some help.

AL.

Scubadale, my dad was just diagnosed this July and he too goes to Dr. Appel. He went today to look into the trial medications. He is actually going with one of the studies that Dr. Appel is heading up. He looked into the Ceftriaxone, but decided on the other because swimming seems to benefit him and with the ceftriaxone he wouldn't be able to swim! Anyway, I am praying for everyone that a cure will be found soon or at least something that will slow the progression. I know God still performs miracles......so I'm asking Him to do so. Together, we will all make it through this!

Yeah, I had to think long and hard about not being able to scuba dive. But I have been on several hundred scuba dives so might as well experience a hickman. No really it was the only study going on at the time. We discussed Dr. Appel's study with him but it hadn't started yet. I can withdraw from the ceftriaxone study at a later date and enroll in another one so that option is open for a couple of years anyway. Do you accompany your dad to Houston?

Thanks to all for the welcome. I have already learned a lot just from lurking.

Wow Scubadale, love the name. My son has a toy from when he was a little tike. He always took him into our hot-tub, and we called him Scuba Steve, we have photo's of him even. Now at 15, we just got a new hot-tub, and Scuba Steve is still a permanent resident.. Although my husband plays with him like he were a tike now.
Welcome aboard, sorry you had to join our group, glad you did though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back