Diagnosis
06/2007
Country
US
State
Arizona
City
Flagstaff
Hi all, my name is Tina Tellez and I am caregiver for a woman with ALS. I worked with developmentally disabled adults for over six years, and thought that I was equiped to take on a patient with a different kind of chanllenge wanting to gain skills to become an RN.. I find that this disease is much harder, and difficult for me to handle than working with DD individuals. The woman I work for has been having a difficult time keeping caregivers around because of her particular ways. She must have complete control over everything, and becomes irrational over minor issues... I realize that this is also part of the disease, but at times I feel trapped and drained by her unrealistic expectations...She becomes angry with me, if I am to happy in the morning, and over corrects me to the point of irrability...I work four twenty-hour shifts with her, and I start to loss my cool by the end of my shift..I would like to find a healthy balance with her because the money is descent making it easier to fullfil my goals. I want to stay around, but I feel that possibily there is nothing I can do in this situation and she must get more professional help...I am doing my best and want to try tackle this issues. I hope that joining this group will provide me with some answers...I am open to anything!

Tina,
Do you know if your patient is on any medication for emotional lability?

No she isn't, and I'm thankful that I signed up in this forum because it helped me to realize that she does need to be on a antidepressant. When I told her about emotional liability she didn't want to listen...Now the trick is to make her understand it can help...Thanks for answering..

I copied your post to the Caregivers section, you might want to look there for more responses.

My name is Nancy and I am new here, its my pleasure to join this community to find some information and good friends here.

Hi there Nancy. A Big Big welcome. if you have any questions I may be able to help with, or just be an ear to listen feel free to send me a visitors message or Private message.
Aly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back