Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Montana
City
Red Lodge
This DynaVox VMax Series 5 is 14 months old. I have several pictures so please email me and I will gladly send them to you. My Dad used the DynaVox for 90% of his communicating. I don't know what I and my 3 siblings would have done without "Harry" (we actually named it) helping Dad to communicate. This is a wonderful machine and my Dad took to it like a duck to water. Included with the machine is the carrying case, instruction books, keyboard, mouse, pen, power supply and CD's. Can be set up with email and internet. "Harry" was very well taken care of. We are asking $5000 but will consider offers.

For information on DynaVox products: http://www.dynavoxtech.com/products/v/

Hi Jackie,

Do you know if insurance pays for Dynavox? I would love to get my mom one but want to explore the cheapest methods and see if it's something we can afford.

Thanks,

Kim

julez,

Insurance will pay, just be sure you are getting the right device because in the case of Medicare they will only pay once for a device.

I believe that there are other agencies out there that will help pay for equipment. You can check with Aging Services in your area, Muscular Dystrophy, ALSA. Medicare did help pay for this machine.

Julez,
After talking with my sister, who handled all of Dad's insurance, I am sorry that I gave you incorrect information. Medicare did NOT help pay for this machine. Dad's private insurance did but not Medicare. I hope this helps and I, again, apologize.
Jackie

Are you donating the machine or selling it Jackie?

AL.

We are selling it as stated in the original post. $5000 OBO

CJ. When you say Medicare will only pay for one device is that a blanket thing including wheelchairs, communiction devices etc. or will Medicare pay for one in each category. Thanks for your input as it is always helpful.

Hi Connie!

I mean that you have to be very careful in choosing each device you will need. For example, if you need a walker, think ahead - will you need just the plain jane walker or will you need the rollator with the seat so that you can rest after you take laboring steps. Medicare will only pay for one of these devices, so go with the rollator. If you need a speech device, study all aspects thinking ahead to what mobility may be lost in hands, so that you get a good eye gaze device. Once it's bought - it's bought. Same for wheel chair. If it doesn't work out - you are done. Medicare will only pay once for each kind of device.

I have experience with this, since I took care of my mother, who was in a terrible auto accident. And now I take care of this for my husband! :shock:

I'm not an authority on the subject and others may have better info.

You might have better luck selling this piece of equipment if you brought the price down to a reasonable range.

Like this guy did, for instance.

Nice profit if you can get it, though.

Sorry, guess I wasn't paying attention. I thought I read here that someone else was donating a similar device..

AL.

Equipment

I don't mean to offend anyone. If Insurance paid for an item or if one was Donated. I would have to Donate it back to somone who needs it. I would not feel right.
For instance, a PowerChair I am waiting on Stu to get!

Just my thoughts!

Lorie

For those who need a communication device, and have a diagnosis of ALS, both the MDA and ALSA have various models that can be lent out, free of charge to the PALS. The MDA does charge a small fee for technical support, but I do not believe that ALSA does.

Once you choose the type of device best for you; in other words, if you like the loaner/don't like the loaner, or make a choice without a loaner just by researching and comparing features, you can apply for a $2000 grant from the MDA and they will contribute this to your purchase. Medicare will pay 80%. So, using a $5,000 device as an example, Medicare would contribute $4,000 toward it, and although there is red-tape involved with applying for the MDA grant, it is well worth it, as this would mean the PALS would have no out of pocket expense for it whatsoever, and it would have a new device that belongs to them, not be a loaner.

The MDA has separate grants for PALS depending on category, so applying for one to put toward a wheelchair would not have any impact on also using one for a speech device, as these are separate needs. And, as CJ said, these are one time allotments (for I think its a 5 year period) so its best to choose what best suits the PALS the first go around.

JackieLL,

I'm glad the Dynavox was able to make such a difference in the quality of his life, and for your family as well. If you choose to donate your dear father's device, the ALS Guardian Angels is an awesome charity, and would make sure it was placed with a PALS in need, or, of course the MDA and ALSA would be thrilled to have it to add to their loaner closets.

My family does mean to appear selfish in asking money for this used device (as indicated above). I would love to be able to donate this machine to someone, however...costs incurred by my family while taking care of my father were substantial. We chose to NOT put my father in a home but to keep him in his own home. My mother passed away in August of last year from lung cancer - we also were able to keep her at home. My dear brother lost hundreds of hours of work to be able to take care of my father, I traveled from Montana to Pennsylvania 10 times in one year (also losing hundreds of hours of work in addition to airfare) to help care for them. I would not change having taken care of them in a million years. Maybe this site is not the best one to try to sell a piece of machinery if people are so willing to be so judgemental.

Dynavox still for sale?

Did you have the device for sale on Ebay?

We are in the market to purchase a device for our son...and will be buying either a PRC ECO-14 or a Dynavox vMax within the next 3 weeks. We are leaning toward the Dynavox and are awaiting the trial device to cement our decision.

I hope for you that you've sold it but am hoping for us that you might still have it.

If it is for sale, please respond.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back