05/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
Sunnyvale
Hi,
I was diagnosed one year ago and went from speech/chewing/swallowing issues to difficulty walking during that time. I am trying to buy a desk that will take me through needing a wheel chair. So many of them have quite handy drawers on the side. The one I am looking at has a 20" clearance in the center for a normal wood chair! Another one is straight across under the top and is 30" high. My feeling is anything could be lifted up on sturdy blocks for clearance. But still need to know about the width.

Can anyone help me to know how much space I need under the desk/table when I need to use a wheel chair? I know nothing about them, or what I would need other than to say I would prefer to have the smallest, least cumbersome one I could get away with. Our house is very small. I am not even sure a wheel chair would be able to get around the house. I know it would not fit in the bathroom.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Most guys can use a 18" or 20" wide seat in a power chair. (That takes us up to ~250#). That takes the chair width to 26-28" or so, but you want to allow for arm rest edges and free movement and it gets hard to line up precisely to position yourself, esp. when you have various devices, so I would say at least 35" for the cutout or width. There are some very nice desks (wood) that adjust to different heights with your progression. You also want to look at depth with footplates as that can impede your getting close enough to the desk -- that is actually more difficult for some. Thus, the need to adjust the desk height as you go.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back